Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 11:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Crystals & fractals  (Read 7446 times)
Description: A picture from nationalgeographic.com
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »

I thought the effect of scale is interesting:

You cannot realize the size of these crystals unless you compare it to a human size. It reminds me fractal zooms. I wonder if the same structures are found at microscopic scales in these crystals. That would be a neat example of fractals in nature.
full article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/photogalleries/giant-crystals-cave/

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:49:17 AM »

I think at least certain types of crystallization (or crystallization under the right circumstances) are processes that produce fractals. Maybe they can be modeled as a kind of "diffusion limited aggregation", with a few small scale extra rules that forces newly aggregated molecules to snap to a grid position.
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »

Woa! Yes, very nice! The necessary elements of fractal formation is iteration, iteration iteration. The formula for shaping and rotating and translating the basic materials has to be fractally entrained to this iterative process and in fact may distinguish the process. At the heart of any formula is aggregation and disaggregation and a null aggregation action. The abstract, mathematical operators for this are addition and division and power laws.

To form crystals this big speaks of a long and continuous process with contiguous dissolving or removal of the surrounding supportive material. I would strongly suspect glacial melt waters to have been involved and some form of ice as a supporting material.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: