Logo by DarkBeam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 07:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Infinite Burning Ships - Rotating the Folding Axis  (Read 5767 times)
wes
Alien

« on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »

EDIT: I posted more similar stuff here: www.fractalforums.com/new-theories-and-research/extending-the-definition-of-a-burning-ship
The Burning Ship formula is very similar to the Mandelbrot formula, but at the beginning of every iteration, the real and imaginary parts of z are set to their absolute values. In terms of transformations, this can be thought of as folding the complex plane in half like a piece of paper twice. The Perpendicular Burning Ship is the same, but only the imaginary coordinates are set to their absolute values. This is like only folding the piece of paper once (along the real axis)
The Burning Ship (left) and the Perpendicular Burning Ship (right)

Cool, but what happens when you fold the complex plane diagonally? What if you fold it at an arbitrary angle? I wanted to know, so I quickly hacked together some code to make some animations. The way to fold the complex plane at an arbitrary angle is to first rotate the plane, fold it on one of the axis with absolute value then rotate it back. The effect is the same as folding the plane on an axis with opposite the angle you rotated by. In the following animations, every frame is a Burning Ship, but with a different folding angle

Two folds like the regular b-ship (left) and one fold like the pb-ship (right)
The Celtic fish shape at 45 degrees, and a crown shape at negative 45 degrees (left)!
A heart shape at 45 90 degrees and an anteater (huh?) at negative 45 90 degrees(right)!

Amazing! But there's more! What if the folds aren't at 90 degrees? What if I make 4 folds at 45 degrees? What about 2 folds at 45 degrees? What do those look like when you rotate the folding angles?

Four folds at 45 degrees from each other (left) and two folds at 45 degrees from each other (left).
I see a buffalo followed by a porcupine (right)!
Looks kinda like a possum to me  grin  (left)

Since different angles produce different Burning Ships, all of the Burning Ships can be thought of as a circle. Any point on the circle represents a unique burning ship. (Infinite burning ship possibilities!)

EDIT: Bonus Images

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:45:52 AM by wes, Reason: Add link to different thread » Logged
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »

afro

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »

O K !! educated

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »

fascinating, I didn't know the close connection between these fractals.
thanks for sharing!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
wes
Alien

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »

fascinating, I didn't know the close connection between these fractals.
thanks for sharing!
Glad you like them smiley I didn't know they were connected either before I made the animations. I started by rendered an image of the BS rotated at 45 degrees and just got the Celtic. I was shocked!

I just now logged on to post some zoomed in images of the half celtic/half burning ship, so here's those: (EDIT: Moved all the images to the OP)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:55:20 PM by wes » Logged
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »

Very cool animations!
 Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »

Really very cool explorations! I never knew... smiley  afro

sabine62.deviantart.com
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »

Very insightful. Thanks

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »

Nice! How about folds that don't go through the center? (I.e. additionally to rotating, also shift it forth and back before/after the fold)
wes
Alien

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »

Nice! How about folds that don't go through the center? (I.e. additionally to rotating, also shift it forth and back before/after the fold)
I'm on it! I've got more to share tonight or tomorrow. I'll make sure to try moving the folds wink
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

By the way, presumably that's obvious to you, but just in case (it only just occurred to me), you don't actually have to shift stuff in all 2D directions. Only shifts perpenticular to the fold line will actually matter. So the process would be:
  • Rotate such that the desired fold line goes along, say, the real axis
  • Shift along (in that case) the imaginary axis (by adding an arbitrary value from the imaginary part)
  • fold (take the absolute value of the imaginary part)
  • shift back
  • rotate back
  • (optional) repeat the same with more cuts
This will be sufficient to generate all possible such fold variations. Shifts along the fold line (the real axis in this case) will not be affected by the fold and thus transformed exactly to where they came from with the unshift.
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:35:41 AM »

And by stacking them, you get a 3D version.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:02 AM »

Burning Ship Bulb huh?

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 02:31:45 AM »

I like in the animations how you get little glimpses of Mandelbrot set popping in and out.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: