Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Julia-sets for continous functions  (Read 420 times)
Description: a numerical approach to compute the Julia-sets for every continous function
SamTiba
Safarist

« on: January 25, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »

Since I did not found it anywhere here (even though I thought this would be a known approach), here is a method to compute Julia-sets for continous functions:

Known definitions from the Julia- and Fatou-set (taken from the german wiki-page and translated):

Fatou-Set
The initial values from the Fatou-set iterated over a function lead to a static dynamic behaviour. So if the initial value changes a bit, the dynamic flow of the iterated function shows a similar behaviour.
Julia-Set
The points from this set lead to instable dynamics: Every inifinitesimal small change of the initial value leads to a completely different dynamic.

To further explain this behaviour, I am going to show this on an example later on.

To make a numerical approach we have to balance the complex plane, since functions can also have this static behaviour when converging to ∞, but we can't describe this using the normal complex numbers.
A possible way of doing so is using the Riemann Sphere. We use following moebius-transformation to get the height of every point z = a+bi on the Riemann Sphere:
   Zriem = (abs(z)^2 - 1)/(abs(z)^2 + 1) = (a^2+b^2 - 1) / (a^2+b^2 + 1)
After transformation we have the Complex plane + ∞ as the unit sphere. All further definitions are applied on this sphere.

Numerical approach to qualify a point
After a certain number of iterations n0 the following behaviours occur for points Z of the Fatou- and Julia-set.
For every number of iterations n greater then n0 in relation to its neighbourpoint Zp we have for the Fatou-set:

And for the Julia-set:

d(Zn,Zpn) is not beeing calculated on the complex plane. We have a sphere so we would have to use spherical distances.

Numerical approach:
We calculate the distance by the subtraction of the angles of the z-values. Therefore we have a maximum distance for j of pi (from d(∞,0)).

Through this method we get two escape values, one for each set, and therefore can use two different color gradients.
It is quite slow, but produces a lot of new patterns and the possibility to extend it to quaternion numbers.

This approach produces nice Julia-fractals for all functions, especially the continous ones. (Polynom with positive and negative exponent, sin cos tan (sinh cosh tanh) and exp).
For multivalued functions we get non-exact results.

Comparison to known examples from the quadratic Julia-set
Julia-set for z^2 + c with c = -0.8 +0.2i (in red, Fatou-set in blue)

Julia-set for z^2 + c with c = -0.2 +0.3i (in red, Fatou-set in blue)

Some complex and beautiful examples from my gallery:
Painted Julia fractal
Red Butterfly
Smooth rational Julia

Credits to Ijon (german site with mathematical explanation of the properties) for the mathematical backround.

Some of my images: Pinterest
macawscopes
Forums Freshman

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:05:48 AM »

This is really cool... I'm gonna have to read up on the math, as I hadn't ever heard of this kind of fractal.  What is meant by "continuous"?  I'm having trouble understanding this.  As opposed to "discrete"?
SamTiba
Safarist

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »

Yes cheesy

The math behind it is much more complex then my approach to visualize it.
If you're into it it's definetly worth a shot, but unfortunately I can't provide you the underlying theories in english.

Adam Majewski
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »

Compare with :
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Quadratic_Julia_set_with_Internal_binary_decomposition_for_internal_ray_1_over_3.ogv

HTH
SamTiba
Safarist

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »

never heard of a decomposition-method or a parabolic-method?
it seems to be very different

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: