Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 08:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Combining continuous boxtiling with oscillating functions  (Read 2793 times)
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« on: December 22, 2016, 01:09:38 AM »

I'm thinking about coding an oscillation function that does continuous boxtiling so it preserves fractal structure instead of distorting it.  Sound like a plan?

The oscillation functions we have now (gnarl and the like) distort fractals instead of preserving fractal structure.  Applying the continuous boxtiling function to the oscillation would preserve the underlying structure, introducing additional cyclical duplications instead of stretching out the underlying geometry...

I am being hustled out the door! 

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:06:38 PM »

Sounds like a plan, can it be an option so if the distortion is desired one could switch it off/on ?

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »

4D tiling, the entire space will be filled with copies of a box with center in the origin and desired dimensions.
All boxes are equal, and the tiling is (theorically) infinitely extended (but it depends to the floating point
precision, so it is not really).
It can be easily turned off for one (or more?) dimension(s) if you just set to 0 the corresponding size.
With this trick you can do any 3D, 2D, 1D "box-tiling" that you can even think with various effects.
Works perfectly with IFS fractals and has strange effects on normal ones.
For people with familiarity with UltraFractal; this is an extension of the "Gaussian integer" concept.

xi = every dimension (x,y,z,w)
i = 1 to 4
 if sizei <> 0
  xi = xi - frndint(xi/sizei)*sizei (where xi is x,y,... etc. )
 endif
next i

frndint -> rounds a float to the nearest integer

From mb3d's _boxtiling transform (Dark-beam)  wink

sabine62.deviantart.com
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »

I don't think that boxtiling function is continuous (for all fractals... works for some), unless I've misread it?

By not being continuous, I mean it introduces discontinuities into fractals:
boxtiling function

accordion function
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:51:02 PM by M Benesi » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:21:29 PM »

Sounds like a plan, can it be an option so if the distortion is desired one could switch it off/on ?

Ehh, this might be another occasion in which I opened my mouth before I thought something through.  Still going to have distortion (skewing).  To eliminate the skewing, instead of using the accordion function, we need to use some kind of rotation function that oscillates with the displacement.

So I'll do a simple oscillation function along the x-axis to calculate the amount of oscillation:

oscillation =   cos(x * oscillation_period_adustment); 

oscillation =  oscillation * oscillation strength;

Currently I'm doing something like and need a piece of paper and pencil to figure out the math of what I want to do (can't do it in my head!#!):

y = y + oscillation;

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »

You are absolutely right, Matt!  embarrass Discontinuities galore... I haven't used that transform in quite some time, forgot that the tricky thing about it is to make the 'boxes' fit the fractal dimensions...

sabine62.deviantart.com
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »

Well.. you can get discontinuities with the accordion function too, it's just easier to avoid them in a lot of instances. 

So I wonder if an accordion function with repeatedly smaller cycle size depending on cycle number, down to a minimum cycle size would work? 

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: