Logo by slon_ru - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 04:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Calcyman's Idea (2D)  (Read 13751 times)
stigomaster
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »

Nice, "free" is my favorite price.  smiley

Is it also open source?  I'd be more than willing to contribute to the project, if so.

ChaosPro is unfortunately not open source, just freeware. And it's Windows-only, but it runs well in Wine.  wink
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 03:34:14 PM »

LesPauls: Which powers are included? It looks nice smiley
LesPaul
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »

LesPauls: Which powers are included? It looks nice smiley

Thanks!  I want to experiment more, both with the formula and the video codec settings to try to make it cleaner.  I did a version with no compression but it came out to about 400MB and YouTube probably wouldn't be happy about that.  smiley

The power goes from 2.0 to 1.0, so the first frame is exactly

zn+1 = zn2 * tan(zn) + z0

and the last frame is exactly

zn+1 = zn * tan(zn) + z0

The power-2 version behaves very nicely but the power-1 version does not.  I'll make a video that zooms out as the power decreases and it will show how the whole thing basically blows up when the power becomes 1.
LesPaul
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »

A related question - Is there any particular software that you guys use for your video editing?  I'd really like to be able to just render the animation to individual frames (PNG) and then play around with different levels of compression.
LesPaul
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »

The power-2 version behaves very nicely but the power-1 version does not.  I'll make a video that zooms out as the power decreases and it will show how the whole thing basically blows up when the power becomes 1.

Here it is.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHDOqBfdO_Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HHDOqBfdO_Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »

A related question - Is there any particular software that you guys use for your video editing?  
I'd really like to be able to just render the animation to individual frames....

Have you tried VirtualDub ??  It is FREE !!!!    smiley

You might also be interested in the FREE K-Lite Codec Pack, which comes in various downloads:
  • Basic
  • Standard
  • Full
  • Mega
  • Corporate
  • 64-bit

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:56:35 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »

A related question - Is there any particular software that you guys use for your video editing?  
I'd really like to be able to just render the animation to individual frames....

Have you tried VirtualDub ??  It is FREE !!!!    smiley

I use VirtualDub and the Xvid codec - *both* free smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »

Hi
Another vid using the formula  z=z^n*tan(z)+c

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ToWAOKeNKXw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ToWAOKeNKXw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »

whoa, that's a great zoom and value-shift cheesy
LesPaul
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 01:10:43 AM »

Wow, fantastic, bib!

I thought for sure that there was going to be a minibrot at the end of the zoom.  smiley

Several places in z*tan(z) that I've roamed around and zoomed have revealed minibrots.
LesPaul
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »

I just noticed that at 1:17 in bib's video, two minibrots "float" across the chaos from right to left...  It's very unusual, because they aren't classical minibrots in the sense that they don't appear to actually be inside the set.  The chaotic background noise appears to shape itself into minibrots.  I've definitely never seen that before.  z*tan(z) is such an unusual set.
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:09 AM »

I had actually noticed that too. Due to the high level of noise present and the unusual inside coloring, it's hard to say whether or not these minibrots are inside the set. But I'm not the one to know things here...  huh? It is a strange beast indeed.

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Calcyman
Alien

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 08:18:22 PM »

On one of the first images of this fractal set, it is possible to see Mandelbrot-shaped formations with internal substructure. In other words, those formations are not actually part of the Fatou set of the function. Rather, it appears that crossing the border into these curiosities is like passing through an asymptote -- something which seems quite possible given the nature of the tangent function.

Indeed, the first picture (courtesy of Bib) displays this artefact really clearly. The inside of this bubble-like anomaly is populated with fractal swirls, which contrasts with the globular clusters outside the anomaly. Minibrots bridge the gap between these worlds, as if unperturbed by the asymptote.

This can also be seen in LesPaul's second image, albeit less clearly.

Maybe we should translate this series back into triplex, and see if it yields the elusive "True 3D Mandelbrot".

What about z = tan(z)^2 + c? That might be even more remarkable than the hybrid form (z*tan(z) + c). It's certainly simpler and more elegant in definition.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »

These kinds of shadow buds is something I have been looking for in other fractals, like in these pics. I don't know the details of the maths behind unfortunately, but I guess that they have in common to diverge for some real values (e.g 1/(1-x) or tan(x))

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »

tan delivers some of the most beautiful sets, really O.o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: