Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 10:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mirror reflectivity, an idea...  (Read 1522 times)
MindsEye
Alien

« on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »

We know that you can use a background image, and that if you create a mirrored surface with full black and reflections all the way + spec 1 or more... Luca has a nice tutorial about it http://lucagn.deviantart.com/art/100percent-mirroring-setting-in-MB3D-285194378

I posted a question to him there that actually made me think about this idea.. I noticed that the sphere is reflecting the background image on the front of the sphere.. this was unexpected for me, coming from a 3d background. But it reminded me of how I used to fake reflections in a mirrored shape by placing a plane behind the camera and mapping the image I wanted to see in the reflections on to it.

Would this be something that could be done by having a second "background" image selector that actually made a "foreground" image which was behind the cameras field of view. This could also be a way to some extent "project" textures onto the geometry in the scene, naturally it would warp and bend around the object, but that wouldn't be so crucial in all situations.

What do you think?

EDIT: For my first bit Luca pointed out to me that it was background in "sphere mode" which, I can imagine that without some Mercator mapping or something will leave a big seam that can possibly show up in your render. So the spherical mapping mode doesn't negate the idea I am talking about.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:45:45 PM by MindsEye » Logged
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »

The idea iss not bad my friend but Jesse is too busy I fear... Anyway do not forget you can add bitmap lights smiley

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »

EDIT: For my first bit Luca pointed out to me that it was background in "sphere mode" which, I can imagine that without some Mercator mapping or something will leave a big seam that can possibly show up in your render. So the spherical mapping mode doesn't negate the idea I am talking about.

Yep, you have to use/make a spherical map, but with only 2 images you got certainly gaps.  You would make a world-cube out of 6 images then.

The problem is that i cannot store much more informaltion about filenames in the light parameters, i have to make new formats and extend many parts of the program, so this will take really time.  Also for a more general formula handling... but i don't think that i include a world-box with 6 images specified... there are probably helper tools to construct spherical maps somehow.
MindsEye
Alien

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:10 AM »

Fair enough.. it was just an idea. Don't want to pile any more work on you jesse... you have done such awesome work!

I personally am eternally grateful for what you have done. M3D is my favorite program now.. I just cant stop playing with it.

I sometimes am running 5 instances at once lol...  (yes, I have a powerful machine).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: