Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:54:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 2 Mandelbrot Remix Questions  (Read 5951 times)
Description: What if I will change a property of the Mandelbrot Set?
MateFizyChem
Forums Freshman

« on: October 23, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »

My 1st question is like this.

There is a Mandelbrot Set.
The horizontial axis is for R*(√[-1])
The vertical axis is for R*(⁴√[-1]).
The real numbers are thrown away.

How will it look like?

My 2nd question is like this.

There is a Mandelbrot Set.
A 3rd dimension is added and the axis for it is for R*(⁴√[-1]).

How will it look like?

In case of doubt:
-"R" means any real number,
-"⁴√" means the 4th root.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »

Since your horizontal axis unit is just i and the vertical unit is (cos(pi/8),sin(pi/8)), I suspect that you'd get a severely skewed version of the standard Mandelbrot set.  Likewise with your second question, depending, of course, on how you define the 3d math.
MateFizyChem
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »

Since your horizontal axis unit is just i and the vertical unit is (cos(pi/8),sin(pi/8)), I suspect that you'd get a severely skewed version of the standard Mandelbrot set.  Likewise with your second question, depending, of course, on how you define the 3d math.

Let me picture the axis, because you do not seem to understand.

by the way
(cos(pi/8),sin(pi/8)) =/= ⁴√(-1) = √(i)
And sorry for the badly drawn 3rd dimension, it is the diagonal line.

* Question 1 axis.png (48.35 KB, 128x128 - viewed 161 times.)

* Question 2 axis.png (48.35 KB, 128x128 - viewed 159 times.)
MathJason
Forums Newbie

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:30:16 PM »

I want to second lkmitch: ⁴√(-1) is just √(2)/2 + √(2)/2 i = cos(pi/4) + sin(pi/4) i.  (lkmitch accidentally said pi/8.)  (Technically, there are four complex numbers z which satisfy z*z*z*z = -1.  Any of those could be called the "fourth root of -1".  Roots in complex numbers are a bit weird.)

In the 2D case,
a √(-1) + b ⁴√(-1) = (a + b√(2)/2) + b√(2)/2 i.
And lkmitch, is right:  This change of basis would give you a picture of the Mandelbrot set which is rotated and skewed.

As for drawing the Mandelbrot Set in this axis system, it would be easy to do.  Learn how to draw the Mandelbrot set in your favorite program language and then modify the program slightly.  If you are new to programming, this would be a fun project to get started.

As for the 3D version,  I assume you want the point (a, b, c) to correspond to the complex number
a + b √(-1) + c ⁴√(-1) = (a + c √(2)/2) + (b + c √(2)/2) i.
Notice every complex number is already in the xy plane (where c = 0).  Therefore, on the xy plane there will be a picture of the Mandelbrot set and then that same picture will also appear in every plane parallel to the xy plane (except it will be shifted so that center of the picture is in another location).
MateFizyChem
Forums Freshman

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »

Well, these scenarios seem to be interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: