Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: VTune Results; cRenderWorker::RayRecursion; VolumetricShader vs. RayMarching  (Read 6532 times)
mancoast
Alien

« on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »

Greetings,

I am curious about the Volumetric Shader.
It appears that cLights::GetLight is causing some sort of bottleneck in execution.
Please consider the data below.

This first screenshot shows a tree view summary of CPU instruction usages by functions.
99.5% of total execution cycles are spent within the scope of cRenderWorker::doWork.
For this particular hotspots view in Vtune, percentages are shown in the GUI.

We also know that 99.4% of time is spent executing cRenderWorker::RayRecursion.
One level deeper inside RayRecursion, we see 24.4% of time allocated to cRenderWorker::RayMarching.
Also inside RayRecursion, we see 68.2% of time allocated to cRenderWorker::VolumetricShader.

With source code view, see 24.4% of time allocated to cRenderWorker::RayMarching.

With source code view, see 68.2% of time allocated to cRenderWorker::VolumetricShader.

This leads me to believe that we are spending much time in the VolumetricShader.
Within cRenderWorker::VolumetricShader there are two loops retiring billions of instructions to self.

The loop at line 349 of VolumetricShader contains function call to cLights::GetLight.

Also, the loop at line 375 of VolumetricShader contains function call to cLights::GetLight.

It appears that over 50% of all CPU instructions are retired by function calls to cLights::GetLight.

The loop at line 349 of VolumetricShader contains function call to cLights::GetLight.
This specific call to cLights::GetLight retires approximately 25% of all CPU instructions.

Also, the loop at line 375 of VolumetricShader contains function call to cLights::GetLight.
This other call to cLights::GetLight also retires approximately 25% of all CPU instructions.

Why these calls to cLights::GetLight are consuming so many CPU cycles?
Any suggestions for optimization?

Thanks,
coast

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »

Could you attach settings which you used for testing?

mancoast
Alien

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »

6mb too big to attach, heres the link

https://github.com/mancoast/mandelbulber2/raw/k1om/_menger-coastn_anim.fract
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »

Little noob question inbetween. Did you ever render this animation? Depending on fps it should be around 20 minutes. I wonder wether all the stuff below [frames] was necessary to point out, what you mean.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »

It's a HUGE test case! Have you rendered whole animation to do benchmarking or only one frame. I'm asking because I would like to do similar profiling using valgrind and then start to look why cLights::GetLight() was highlighted here.

mancoast
Alien

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »

Hello,

This render is not yet completed.
For VTune I render a randomly selected frame.
This keeps the results fresh with different samples.

After Vtune/changes, I run overnight on the servers to get frame to frame time differences.

As of now, its about 50%.

I am excited to test your latest commit with the isAnyLight modification.

Thanks,
coast

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:26:17 PM »

Thanks to your enormous animation I have found and fixed another bug. The program allocated too much memory when flight animation was loaded and previews were used. No it uses about 20% of former memory usage. I have also improved speed of refreshing animation table.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: