Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Remake of MB3D  (Read 46407 times)
Description: A reboot of the MB3D project
Dermis
Conqueror

Be here now.

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »

This is great news indeed! Respect to Valera!

It would be great if there was a mesh import function, similar to that in Incendia. So .obj files (or similar) could be merged with MB3D formulae like dIFS.

Here's hoping. Good luck with the project!
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

valera.rozuvan valerarozuvan
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2016, 05:50:43 AM »

Hi all! I have made little progress on the remake. This is due to the fact:

1.) Me and my wife have a little girl (9 months old now). It's taking way more time on my side to take care of her than I originally thought.
2.) I just switched jobs. It's a demanding project from scratch, and the first couple of months are rough.

So looking at my speed of coding MB3D ... I'd say the first alpha release is going to happen somewhere near the summer of 2017. smiley Stay tuned!

Brocoli
Forums Freshman

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2016, 11:25:44 PM »

Hello Valera, take your time and make it great  wink
Marius460
Forums Newbie

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2016, 12:27:41 AM »

Amazing, look forward to see the final result  smiley
micshac
Forums Freshman

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2016, 03:42:19 AM »

Hi all! I have made little progress on the remake. This is due to the fact:

1.) Me and my wife have a little girl (9 months old now).

flowers
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »

Congratulations, take your time on the remake
and spend time with your wife and your new miracle girl
miles
Forums Newbie

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »

1. Project name. Should we keep the original name, and just call it version 2? Should we name it something different?
2. List of features that you'd like to see carried over from MB3D.
3. Any new features you want. For example something that is currently in other 3D fractal programs.
4. UI design mock ups, sketches, ideas, etc.
5. Technical side of things. Suggestions for programming language, UI library, architecture, etc.
6. Input on anything else I am forgetting right now.

1. Regarding names: "Mbulb"
3. New feature: Extensive help docs with a search engine built as a menu item like Autodesk Maya. Also built in sample library like Maya's Visor "Get Example". As this would be time consuming and expensive maybe the hardcore MB3D users could contribute to this in some organized fashion.
4. UI: See Nuke's (compositing software) interface as it's node based... which would be great. Non destructive, easy to navigate, easy to experiment in. Clean simple interface. The scrolling Properties Panel would be ideal for Formulas.
5. Suggestion for programming language: Python, not that I know how to program but it's a popular with other VFX software.
6. If possible a written and visual explanation of the terminology if that's even possible for the dumb ass artist types like me. wink

Maya and Nuke have put a lot of effort into their interface and changes to it almost every year with small tweaks in the effort to make it better, why not borrow from that instead of inventing completely new interface. Nuke is the best I've seen, very efficient... forgo sexy, keep it intuitive and clean.
Avoid lots of digging through menus / layers, keep everything visible at once. For example all the formulas values and attributes are on the screen at one time as an option. As a new user to MB3D I get confused very quickly. Understanding formulas is challenging enough but klunky software makes it extra frustrating. Yes you can get use to anything in time, but if your starting fresh then I would love to see the above changes.

Take advantage of all the screen space, many VFX artist have dual monitors, again Nuke has addressed this well allowing you to save your own custom settings regarding this. Attached is a screenshot of Nuke's interface.

Thank you so much for allowing me to add my input. I'm in awe of your skills... I'll never hope to understand the voodoo you do.

* NukeSample.JPG (147.88 KB, 1913x806 - viewed 831 times.)
Maxi
Forums Newbie

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »

Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on fractal forums and been following MB3D for a while - thought it was about time to say hello.

This piece of software so far is absolutely spectacular - especially since V2 it has made fractal rendering and experimenting with parameters very accessible. I have found playing with this engine incredibly theraputic and find myself many evenings exporing beautiful fractal infinity. Thank you so much - incredible piece of software, peace and respect from the UK!  grin

Some features/components I'd love to see in new version (sorry if already mentioned somewhere):

- A 'hide interface'/preview mode, similar implementation to Adobe suite or Sketch BC. This would be helpful to quickly examine current setup without adjusting zoom/window layout to get a closer look.

- A very low fidelity globe model of the users' current fractal settings that highlights where on the model the camera is located. Could sit in the bottom right corner of render window with lowered opacity for inactive state, then full alpha on hover-state.

- Have seen it mentioned already, but GPU assisted rendering, think i remember seeing OpenCL being implemented in future. Addition to the manual with info/configuration of hardware would be lovely also.

I really like the way you've implemented tooltips for explanation of parameters and rendering effects also. Thanks again guys, have a great evening. smiley

Maxi
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »

Ummm .... hope you realize that valera_rozuvan (the author of the original post) is not the author of MB3D nor of the recent changes to MB3D.
The author of this topic was proposing to re-engineer MB3D into something else (as in 'see bird flying, plan to make jet aircraft based on that vision').

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

valera.rozuvan valerarozuvan
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2017, 11:37:36 PM »

Something is in the works. Don't give up hope.

Brocoli
Forums Freshman

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »

Great !!!
Spain2points
Navigator

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »

Hi, as a person who has zero idea about the way this software works (or any for that matter), I'd like to be able to export the mapping of any given object. I'm thinking of getting the uv map that Shapeways ask me to have if I want a 3d model in colors. It would be really cool to get it, at least from Difs. I tried in Blender, but Blender hates my guts. Anyway, that's a dream of mine, cheers.
crystalwizard
Forums Newbie

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »

The things I'd really like to see added to this new remake are:

1. the ability to browse for height maps (and all other maps) instead of having to type in the name.
2. Initial directories that actually work. Currently, even with the most current version, it doesn't matter where I tell MB3d my background images are, I still have to put them in the main directory for it to find them.
3. interactive help files for every function - I.E. A small ? next to every field that, when clicked, opens a help page with clear instructions as to what to put in that field, and a clear description what it does (kinda like tooltips but not as irritating).
m2001
Conqueror

« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »

to 1) right mouseclick in the map nr. field wink

morbidorbits
Forums Freshman

« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »

How exciting!!  Thanks for taking this on.

The only suggestion I have currently is regarding browsing for files (e.g. like .m3i) it would be really useful to have summary of the the parameters, and the fractal details.   So when I click on an .m3i in the file browser and I can see instantly how large in pixels it is, as well as how long it took me to render, etc.  I can't see this info in the current version I am using (1.91).

Really just to improve usability for people with a lot of files, and who often saves hundreds of files into the same sub folder, but not all of them are the same type of render.

I will almost certainly think of many more suggestions for Mandelbulb 4D.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: