Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Are there any voxel software that support the creation of fractals?  (Read 14076 times)
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »

My problem with these voxel softwares is that they was made to a different task, not 3D fractal visualization, but visualization of oblejects with a smooth/connected surface. In contrast, if you generate fractals, you have a set of points with X,Y,Z coordinates, and the software have to define a continuous surface on them. This is the difficult part of the task.

I also played with voxels before: created .obj files (it has a simple file structure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file), represented voxels with cubes, but the preblem was the following: I had only 6 different directions of surfaces. Eg. there were no contrast between neighboring surfaces (resulted "LEGO-style" images):
http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/new-3d-mandelbrot-formula-(-orangeman-)/
<Quoted Image Removed>

I'm looking for a software that can create something similar:
<Quoted Image Removed>

<Quoted Image Removed>
Looks interesting.

Yes, that is still a problem with simple voxel editors. I have tried to find better ones but this one seems to be the most practical one to use. It actually has an option to double the number of polygons to make structures a little nicer but since they are made by hand and not by formula and the resolution of them is very low it is just a project just for fun. But I can ask for better rendering options, it is an open source program.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »

The main "problem" (or feature cheesy ) of 3D fractals that these don't contains poligons, only points. But a voxel software doesn't have to create poligons on a set of points. This is task for a fractal software.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 08:43:20 PM »

True, it might be umconventional but it is the specific thing I was looking for.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »

Take a look at my hobby-project, StyrofoamIFS

http://phtolo.se/fractals/index.htm

It only handles IFS fractals but it can create arbitrarily large point-clouds.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »

Thank you, I will do that once I have my 64bit machine working.

bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »

Wow, this IS what we need here! Could you complement this with an import function? I think about a set of points in a .txt file in ASCII format: X; Y; Z coordinates in 3 columns, separated by semicolon or something...
phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »

Wow, this IS what we need here! Could you complement this with an import function? I think about a set of points in a .txt file in ASCII format: X; Y; Z coordinates in 3 columns, separated by semicolon or something...

There is a outputformat command for .scene files that creates text-files. (Last in the manual page for .scene files)
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 11:36:35 PM »

Oh, good. And can it read them back?
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 12:14:59 AM »

wow! this is a fascinating gallery (and hobby-tool!!) you have there, phtolo!

Your barnsley fern with the added rotation looks so much like this is the way to 'generate' romanesco! is this that is the difference? fern 2d, romanesco 3d, with added rotation?

does your program has a 'readable formula'? I'd love to see the text/math form of romanesco broccoli!

(hope you don't mind embedding the gif here? I'll remove it if you have to look for bandwidth)

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »

Wow that looks amazing. I can not wait to start experimenting.

phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 08:29:29 AM »

Oh, good. And can it read them back?
I see your point now, it can't be done now, but I'll look into it, give me a day or two.

wow! this is a fascinating gallery (and hobby-tool!!) you have there, phtolo!

Your barnsley fern with the added rotation looks so much like this is the way to 'generate' romanesco! is this that is the difference? fern 2d, romanesco 3d, with added rotation?
<Quoted Image Removed>
does your program has a 'readable formula'? I'd love to see the text/math form of romanesco broccoli!

(hope you don't mind embedding the gif here? I'll remove it if you have to look for bandwidth)

Thank you smiley
The fractals are defined using a text editor so they are very much readable.
See here regarding your romanesco related thoughts:
http://www.fractalforums.com/ifs-iterated-function-systems/3d-barnsley-ferns-and-firs/15/

Wow that looks amazing. I can not wait to start experimenting.

Thank you smiley
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »

hope you don't mind embedding the gif here? I'll remove it if you have to look for bandwidth.

The gif is okay, I have no problems with it. It shows a great example of what the program can do.

Just in general, if other people do have issues with it, please let us know.

Thank you, I will do that once I have my 64bit machine working.
I'm curious, would it be possible to make a 32bit version?

bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »

I see your point now, it can't be done now, but I'll look into it, give me a day or two.
joy I would be really happy with that; I was looking for something similar a long time ago. Cheers!
A 32 bit version would also be useful indeed.
phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 11:06:43 PM »

Theres a new version now that can read .xyz files.
I haven't updated the manual yet, but it reads the formats that it can create.
Put the .xyz files in the ifs folder and select them as any .ifs file.

I'll take a look at a 32-bit version tomorrow.
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 12:49:23 AM »

You are awesome! I can't wait for the 32 bit version! smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: