Logo by visual - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What open source fractal programs might I contribute to?  (Read 5422 times)
fullerenedream
Forums Newbie

« on: June 02, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »

Hi all!

I'm looking for an open-source project to contribute to. I love fractals - I have a Mandelbrot tattooed between my shoulderblades - so I thought this would be a good place to ask around! I don't have a ton of programming experience and I'm looking for a project I can make bite-size contributions to while I look for paid work.

Right now I'm most proficient with Ruby, with JavaScript coming in second. Also familiar with HTML/CSS. I worked with these a bunch in the Web Dev Bootcamp I just finished, so they're pretty fresh in my mind. I also did a year course in Java, a semester course in Python, and worked a summer job in C, back around 2005-2007.

Do you have any suggestions for an open-source fractal program that needs contributors in any of my languages? Especially the fresh ones? I'm guessing there's more projects in C and Python, which I intend to freshen up on, but it would be nice to start contributing to something right away.

Please let me know what you think! Any advice/feedback is welcome!

Thanks cheesy

Edit: I also have math skillz, or at least I used to. I got my BSc in Physics back in 2007.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:23:44 PM by fullerenedream » Logged
Adam Majewski
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »

Evgeny was looking for a prgramer who can translate Java code to JavaScript :
http://www.ibiblio.org/e-notes/MSet/Contents.htm

HTH

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »

many projects are here:

mandelbulb3d

mandelbulber

synthclicpse

when i find the time i insert the github locations for them, nevertheless but these are the most actively developed fractal programs you find here and which are open source

definately check out the source and get it compiled of "mandelbulber" this one aims for a 3dstudio max style of 3d fractal editing, mandelbulb3d will be quite hard to compile because it is a delphi program, synthclipse is the successor of fragmentarium, build on the eclipse platform, more or less ready to use, but an IDE is never finished wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »

and never forget kalles fraktaler!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »

and never forget kalles fraktaler!

Definitly!!!

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
zebastian
Conqueror

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »

Hi fullerenedream,

i co-develop on mandelbulber. This is a 3d fractal and more renderer. written in C++.
There are always things to do here. And we could always use a helping hand.

You can find more infos here:
https://github.com/buddhi1980/mandelbulber2

If you are interested in getting involved, or have any questions just drop me a message.
Cheers! tease
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: