Logo by Timeroot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 07:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Community driven fractal encyclopedia  (Read 4878 times)
Description: Make fractals great again.. ;)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: June 02, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »

Hello fellow fractalists!

You might have noticed that the internet is missing an encyclopedia that focuses on fractals.

We decided to change this and worked very hard in the past weeks to create the framework for such an encyclopedia - this is the current status:
http://fractalogy.org/

What's still missing are the actual articles for the encyclopedia, like this one -->
Over the last years we've gathered all the topics and have tons of links, pictures & research papers, every information you need to write an article.
But we're doing this in our limited freetime, and after all this is supposed to become a community project. 
So it's time to involve the community - or to be precise: You!  cheesy

If you can check at least 2 of the following:
-want to help spread knowledge about fractals
-have advanced knowledge of any fractal topic (top menue-->fractals/nature)
-are good at writing or visualizing topics graphically
-know of any other way to contribute

..please consider helping this community effort.
No obligations, non profit, free to use, no ads - this is just about idealism and our shared passion for fractals.
It's time they get the attention they deserve.

To give the project a publicity boost we produced this film:
<a href="https://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=168938864&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">https://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=168938864&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
(please don't share yet, we want to avoid visitors browsing an unfinished website and never return)

We hope that the connection to the current No Man's Sky hype will help to spread this and bring fractals and fractal research back to the mainstream.
But this also sets a tight deadline - we want to "go live" with the site and video no later than 31st of june.

Even if you just write one very short article this will help us big time to make this whole project possible!

Any questions, feedback, info?
Just post here or drop me a PM.

Cheers,
Chillheimer

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »

Might be worth adding Apophysis to the list of software, and well, I'd suggest Chaotica but I guess dirty commercial software (incl UltraFractal, Xenodream, ...) is unwelcome?

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »

I would be glad to contribute. wink

I have heard the release of No man's sky has been delayed untill August.

Edit: the site's layout is beautiful.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:55:33 PM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:56:54 PM »

Yes, looks pretty up-to-date.

I was only surprised they have their own forum, I already expected that'd be here.

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »

Might be worth adding Apophysis to the list of software, and well, I'd suggest Chaotica but I guess dirty commercial software (incl UltraFractal, Xenodream, ...) is unwelcome?
Our main focus is the encyclopedia and research area, software is just an addon for those interested in taking a few first steps of fractal generation.
so we want to keep the list short (and indeed only freeware). But I guess it wouldn't hurt if we add a point to the menu that lists the most important software, including commercial ones.
would you mind helping out with such a list, incl. links and a short description, lycium?

I would be glad to contribute. wink
you're totally welcome to do so!
I had thought about you when reading that you're studying chemistry:
http://fractalogy.org/nature/chemistry/

I have heard the release of No man's sky has been delayed untill August.
We definitely wanted to go live a month or longer before the games release date - because when it's out, people will play the game itself instead of watching videos about it.. wink
So I'm quite happy it got delayed..

Yes, looks pretty up-to-date.
I was only surprised they have their own forum, I already expected that'd be here.
To make that clear: It is not at all our intention to compete with fractalforums! We don't do fractal art or much about the generation of fractals. I will stay active here just as ever.
The forum there is targeting a different 'peer group' - it's purpose is to bring fractal researchers together, who until now mostly work completely on their own, each running their own website. If we each fight on our own, we will never overcome the 'fractal curse'.
So in this forum we will discuss our own research and findings and try to prove/disprove each other so we can then speak with one voice and publicize the results we agree in the  "research area"-category of the front page.
The initial idea was also to connect the encyclopedia-article with the forum for questions, discussion and suggestions for improvement, but this turned out to be quite complicated and is now very low on the priority list.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:52:27 AM by Chillheimer » Logged

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »

Thanks, I will certainly be adding some topics to chemistry. smiley

I made this a sticky topic. I think this is a great collaboration project.

Edit: architecture seems to be missing. Would you mind adding that as well. I might be able to help out there as well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:09:44 PM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »

And maybe Chaoscope as one of the oldest programs and for many the first to start with fractals or just to honor it wink By the way, it looks great. I'm afraid I can't contribute but I'm sure I will visit it a lot.  Great work guys   A Beer Cup

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
Adam Majewski
Fractal Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »

There is many articles with open licence here :

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:40:10 AM »

good to see you there redshiftrider!

adam, this is an awesome resource! thank you for sharing.

and yep, we'll add chaoscope to the list.
Actually I was thinking if it would be appropriate to mirror Naheems fractal census: http://www.nahee.com/PNL/Fractal_Software.html
As you might now he passed away recently - I guess it's only a question of time before the site goes offline.
what do you think, would this be his wish?

Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:43:35 AM »

Actually I was thinking if it would be appropriate to mirror Naheems fractal census: http://www.nahee.com/PNL/Fractal_Software.html
As you might now he passed away recently - I guess it's only a question of time before the site goes offline.
what do you think, would this be his wish?]

I think he would be honored. A man so devoted and so helpful for anyone who asked and needed help, with a lot of humor and patience I think he would be glad to see his work used. And also in this way his memory will live on.   Well, that's what I think.  I really cared about him, he was very kind!

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »

good to see you there redshiftrider!

adam, this is an awesome resource! thank you for sharing.

what do you think, would this be his wish?

We should definitely do that. He was one of the main contributors of this forum. I think it would have been his wish.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »

ehrm, what the heck, the wikibooks page displays a citation from ME ?!?!?!

"Just keep in mind that what is obvious for you won't be necessarily obvious for the reader."   :— (cKleinhuis )

cheesy

might be possible i said that, but displaying a cite from me right beside richard p. feyman seems a bit odd for me wink
 under whoms maintenance is that page ?!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

Just check the history of the page, most contributors have their user pages.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 11:26:04 PM »

great, and @chillheimer, the video is just fantastic and i promoted it on the fb ff (facebook fractalforums) site

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:44 PM »

great, and @chillheimer, the video is just fantastic and i promoted it on the fb ff (facebook fractalforums) site
thanks, it's good to get feedback that shows the crazy amount of work that went in there has been worth it.
but please wait with promoting it - this was more of an internal ff-'preview' to find active support by showing that we really mean it.
(please don't share yet, we want to avoid visitors browsing an unfinished website and never return)
we want to release it on all reachable channels on one day (probably 21st or 28th of june) to increase the impact and the chance to reach the treshhold to go viral. If you have any good places to post please save them until release day or share them here.
this needs any support it can get, time to speak with one voice and join forces to bring fractals back into the mainstream.

cheers!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:51:10 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: