Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Double Precision CUDA GTX 200 OpenGL GLSL  (Read 9242 times)
mrrgu
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »

Hi

I wanted to buy a GTX 295 card for 64 bit float operations.. But as far as I understand I need to stick with Cuda for this ? or maybe OpenCL?

Thing is my CUDA programs keep crashing! and I can not find the cause..sometimes they run fine and then I zoom it crashes..do not think it is temperature..have tested two different computers.

So what to do..wanted to go back to OpenGL and write GLSL shaders...but then there is no support for double precision even if the card support it..

So I looked into the possibility of using "double single" float math..but then how to make fast sin() cos(), log(),sqrt()... It does not seem worth the trouble..

Is it easy to use GDB to debug Cuda ?
gaston3d
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »

I recommend you elaborate on your gpu programming and wait for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_300_Series afro
mrrgu
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »

Yes smiley That is worth waiting for.. I hope they will update OpenGL and GLSL to use doubles though!!!

I recommend you elaborate on your gpu programming and wait for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_300_Series afro

Snakehand
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »

ATI supposedly has limited double support on the newest cards with OpenCL, but only for basic arithmetic. So you will have to do series expansion and Newton-Raphson where appropriate. Brook+ also has some double support.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: