Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 09:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: a map I made of the Mandelbrot Set  (Read 10958 times)
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »

wow, thanks everyone for the great responses! cheesy This is something I worked on for a really long time, so it's great to have such good feedback from this forum, because you are the ones I want to impress the most! I do have plans to make it into a poster - I am currently considering doing a Kickstarter campaign to fund the initial print run. I have a website already set up (I would have posted it before but didn't want to be too spammy)... anyways if you go there you can sign up with your email to be notified when the poster is actually available.
www.mandelmap.com
This is epic. I'd totally be down for a frameable poster. Be sure to make it a standard poster size so those of us who are thrifty can simply grab a ready-made frame from an art supply store.

Since you are doing a KS, to reach the widest audience, I would consider offering the option of cheap poster prints in addition to fine art quality Giclee. I would buy the Giclee print myself, knowing the quality of these from first-hand experience.
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 11:17:22 PM »

yeah, giclees are great.  he said he wants offset printing.  i know its apples and oranges but i wonder how the two compare?  pros/cons?
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 12:06:34 AM »

I have no idea, but I had Giclee prints of three of my fractals made through Deviantart. The colors really pop!  afro
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 01:18:41 AM »

This is epic. I'd totally be down for a frameable poster. Be sure to make it a standard poster size so those of us who are thrifty can simply grab a ready-made frame from an art supply store.
Thanks! The poster that I am doing offset printing for will be 36"x24" which is a very standard size in the US, like when you go to Walmart that's the size of the posters there. As for the colors, this is a muted palette anyways so CMYK will handle it just fine - I've already ordered some offset printed postcards of the map from the same print house and they look great. It's hard to match the crisp details and professional finish of offset printing. These posters will be reasonably priced for people to grab one or more.

And like you suggested, I am planning to offer an additional more expensive print, in the form of a digitally printed 54"x36" poster on photo paper. That's also a fairly standard size. I will have to check with them to make certain, but I'm pretty sure they are using giclee inks! wink I've already got one of these monsters on my wall and it's super cool, the colors look fantastic.

stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 03:01:45 AM »

Will these be available for sale separately at a later date or will they onlly be exclusive to Kickstarter? Looking forward to framing one of these babies...
Tabasco Raremaster
Iterator

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »

A must-have  champagne toast

http://tabasco-raremaster.deviantart.com/

If you dislike it press; Alt+F4
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »

Depending on the final price of the more affordable versions, maybe certain museums might be interested in the poster as some sort of merchandise? I'm thinking of the Exploratorium ( https://www.exploratorium.edu ) and similar establishments (e.g. http://www.universum-bremen.de/?lang=en ). At least the math centric Mathematikum in Giessen, Germany ( http://www.mathematikum.de ) should be interested.

I do not have direct contact to any of these. Merely a suggestion.
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »

Will these be available for sale separately at a later date or will they only be exclusive to Kickstarter?
The 36"x24" poster will definitely be available for sale after the Kickstarter, through the website www.mandelmap.com
The 54"x36" digital print may or may not be available for sale afterwards. The huge print makes a nice pledge incentive for Kickstarter but in the end is not so cost-effective for me... a lot of it will be determined by how much demand there is for the large size.
Depending on the final price of the more affordable versions, maybe certain museums might be interested in the poster as some sort of merchandise?
That's certainly a goal of mine, to get various stores selling this poster for me. I will be able to offer bulk discounts for distributors...
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 11:49:32 PM »

I dunno. The 54"x36" print takes up serious wall real estate but would be perfect for establishments. I've got so much on my walls already, that I'll have to take the 36"x24". It seems the perfect size for home display.
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »

yeah I definitely agree, I always planned this as a 36x24 poster from the get-go... The large size is like a specialty option if people want something a step above (and have empty walls lol)
By the way, I checked and the print company doing the big 54x36 posters is using "specially-engineered giclée pigment inks, paired with brand new high gamut 8-ink technology"
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 12:30:50 AM »

8-inks? My understanding was professional CMYB printing used six colors, low and high intensity Cyan, low and high intensity magenta, yellow, and black. What is this new "8-color" system?
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 02:20:35 AM »

Old school color printing is CMYK, which is 4 inks. This does well enough with low saturation colors like this poster, but struggles when people try to do really saturated colors like deep reds or blues. So, some printers have started adding additional ink colors, which allows them to reproduce a much wider color range. 8-ink giclee prints are like top-of-the-line stuff as far as digital prints go.

Basically what it comes down to is this: they are both very high-quality, professional prints. The colors will be slighter richer on the digital print and the details will be slightly crisper on the offset print. For this map in particular, I think crisp details have priority. Offset printing is what is used for basically all commercially produced posters, and it can reproduce a true 300dpi. The digital prints are 150dpi, which is plenty for the large size but gives the offset prints an advantage for the 36x24 size. I would do offset prints for the large size too, except that this would be a much bigger investment and I'm not sure I could sell enough of the large size to make it worth my while. Offset printing means ordering hundreds or even thousands of posters at once! So instead, I opted for a digital print. If it turns out that there is actually a huge demand for the large size I might consider investing in a run... I will also have to find space in my apartment to store a stack of giant posters! tongue stuck out
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »

Brilliant! Waiting for the Kickstarter smiley

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »

afro

Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »

This must be really amazing. I would like to see more details.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: