Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: how to compile fragmentarium-3dickulus with debug symbols?  (Read 5211 times)
claude
Fractal Bachius

« on: December 24, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »

Hi, looking to try the latest 3dickulus version of Fragmentarium on Debian Jessie using mesa nouveau driver (supports OpenGL 3.3).

Unfortunately it crashes (segmentation fault) on startup, and gdb info isn't enough to go on really::

Code:
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000004a32ea in Fragmentarium::GUI::MainWindow::init() ()
#1  0x00000000004a44b4 in Fragmentarium::GUI::MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget*)
    ()
#2  0x0000000000468c93 in main ()

How should I tweak the mklinux.sh build system so that I get a better back trace so I can hope to find the issue?

Suggestions on how to speed up the build welcome too, takes 3mins each time here...
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »

in Fragmentarium-source/CMakeLists.txt...

change
set ( CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Release )
to
set ( CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Debug )

after the first run you can cd to Fragmentarium-source/build and run "make clean" then "make" to rebuild the executable only
the new executable will be in Fragmentarium-source/build folder, you can copy it to where ever you have Fragmentarium installed
you should also comment out "#define NVIDIAGL4PLUS" in DisplayWidget.h
or if you have an nVidia card you should try to use the nVidia drivers, faster and more stable.

the size of the executable should jump from 2.6M to about 8.6M

not sure if there are any issues re:mesa nouveau driver and GL

edit: after a quick look you might only need to comment out "#define NVIDIAGL4PLUS" in DisplayWidget.h to compile so try that first wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »

my machine is using nVidia driver v352.63 from the SuSE G04 packages, these are for GeForce 400 and newer
google "nvidia debian driver download" for official packages and instructions

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »

edit: after a quick look you might only need to comment out "#define NVIDIAGL4PLUS" in DisplayWidget.h to compile so try that first wink

Yep just that was it - many thanks and yuletide greetings!

(I know proprietary drivers are probably faster, but <insert free software politics here>...)
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »

I'm glad it works for you cheesy I too am an advocate of OpenSource, big time, but to get the maximum performance from such a critical piece of hardware I have to side with the manufacturer, they do provide the drivers at no charge and maintain install packages so I have to give some appreciation for that.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: