Logo by kameelian - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Coloring  (Read 9382 times)
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »

cheesy   It'd be cooler looking in your raytracer... if I ever get a GPU upgrade (from 8+ year old mobile) I'm making the switch. 

ok, thank you very much! I'll play with it more time.
De-kn and texturing and new coloring and height map = crash...
Just need less variables. In fact we need 1-4 types of texture/heightmap

Can you tell me what error you get, or is it just a plain old crash?

There should be a workaround- a way to fix the problem.  We might be able to just use the formula side for colors/textures and heightmap and eliminate it from the raytracers entirely (this is something that 3dickulus wanted anyway, so I'll quote this topside in the coloring?? thread).

@3dickulus (too)- What we can do is send the colors to the raytracer in the orbitTrap variable that is passed back and forth, so when the getColor() function is called, you just take the x,y, and z parts of the orbitTrap as RGB.

This would also require a quick rewrite of the getColor (still haven't traced out why using "providesColor" instead of getColor() changes the hitColor when I'm using the same algorithm) function in the raytracers, but it would be a bit simpler....  the only problem I can see is calculating the color every time you do DE- which you'd end up doing.  Might add a little bit of overhead.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »

Ha! fixed EXR texture load bug and added RGB+A so...
EXR image output can contain 1.0/depth in alpha channel
EXR texture input reads RGBA (was only rgb) into sampler texture
will have to put together a nice tutorial once the dust settles a bit on this latest bunch of mods wink

All fixes are in the currently posted sourcecode and executable packages

For those compiling from source:

Linux - no change, just grab the source, cd to the base folder, run the mklinux.sh script
Windows - just grab the source, cd to the base folder, run the mkmingw.bat script
                 the change is that when finished you will have a new folder with a complete standalone package
                 with all required DLLs, the new Fragmentarium folder can be moved out of the base folder or archived for distribution
OSX - soon I hope

For those relying on precompiled binaries:

Linux - none
Windows - grab the exe-only package and merge with or copy to your current Fragmentarium folder
OSX - soon I hope

PS the website is the globe under my avatar <<<

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 10:42:25 PM »

Once the dust settles...  still building!   afro   Very nice on the bugfix!

So, I wrote the least efficient way possible to sample colors from the surrounding fractal to introduce a bit of noise.  My original intent was to grab "glow" from the surroundings, but that requires a lot of sampling.   Might try this on a faster GPU to mess with it a bit more.

The code is not even wrong (not right either!), so I'm not releasing it yet, because it makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing (which is the case... but why let everyone know?).  

Interesting concept though.  I'm sampling colors in fractals by moving away from the fractal after the first hit, and then calculating hits on other surfaces to sample colors.  I blend the existing color with the samples, or just do all samples.  It looks a bit grittier, a bit like a noise function, but the calculation time is exponentially greater than a noise function (after all, this is multireflection sampling!!!).  

Click to compare.  Regular coloring, followed by 2 blended coloring.  There are more in this gallery.

Here is the reason I'm not releasing the code:

Look at that image and tell me where the reflections are coming from that are outside of the freaking fractal?  Mehhh... anyway.  If anyone is going to help with the coding or math I'll post it.  If not, then if I fix it, I'll post it.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:10:46 AM by M Benesi » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »

I was messing around and realized something.  Sometimes color sampling is a bit cooler if you sample from deeper into the fractal... or farther away from it.

So I set it up so we calculate a hit, then do another calculation to grab the orbitTrap either deeper into or further from the fractal.

There is now a "colorDepth" option for the coloring algorithm.  There is also a checkbox at the bottom of the Palette tab to sample from the direction of the normal- sort of interesting.

Thinking about tackling the heightmap rewrite before I try to work on the spraygun- but maybe a bit of spraygun functionality (at least a click and sample refocus option so that we know we're making progress) will be in the works shortly, need to re-read what 3dickulus posted in regards to the mouseover to see where we're at with that.  Just thought.. maybe spraygun will rewrite small sectors of the screen, so it doesn't do the whole fractal at once (probably said this already, but I repeat myself).  Did I ever tell you I repeat myself?

I like the little lines in this one... 

Vimeo video with a quick demo of the colorDepth cycling.  A bit fast, and didn't really capture what it does differently than just doing other stuff.. but what the hey.  It's not computationally expensive, so this option is going to be part of the palette and texture coloring (right now it's in the palette tab- not sure if I can control a uniform variable from multiple tabs... we'll see).   
<a href="https://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=148838315&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">https://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=148838315&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Then this is just a pure reflected color Mandelbulb  (from the formulas I'm not posting yet).  I like that the colors I selected blended to basically green... cheesy

* Fast-RaytracerDeepColor.frag (18.09 KB - downloaded 105 times.)
* mengerdeepcolor.frag (28.14 KB - downloaded 86 times.)

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »

cheesy   It'd be cooler looking in your raytracer... if I ever get a GPU upgrade (from 8+ year old mobile) I'm making the switch. 

Can you tell me what error you get, or is it just a plain old crash?

There should be a workaround- a way to fix the problem.  We might be able to just use the formula side for colors/textures and heightmap and eliminate it from the raytracers entirely (this is something that 3dickulus wanted anyway, so I'll quote this topside in the coloring?? thread).
Just a lot of variables and my gpu is crash. The same problem was on Patkick's terrain generator - very complex code.
What to do? - get more easy code, maybe create separate *.frags for special color palette, textures, bump mapping. And call them when we need.

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »

Do you get a specific error code that says "too many variables" or something along those lines?

If something is highlighted in yellow or red in the log area of Fragmentarium it would clue me into what is going on.  wink

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »

Do you get a specific error code that says "too many variables"?
Yes  smiley

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »

lol.  cheesy   K, thanks!      lol... feel like a nurse at the doctor's office:

Are you using the fast raytracer version, or are you putting it into DE-Kn2?

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »

lol.  cheesy   K, thanks!      lol... feel like a nurse at the doctor's office:

Are you using the fast raytracer version, or are you putting it into DE-Kn2?
I wrote before:
"De-kn and texturing and new coloring and height map = crash..."
Yes i use Knighty's version of raytracer  wink

here i used your heightmap code (hMapType=4)

SCORPION
Conqueror

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »

Сергей, приложи код с ошибкой, а то я не пойму.
У меня палитры господина M Benesi работают без проблем в быстром трейсере, с минимальной корректировкой в ДЕ.
DE-Kn2 уменя тоже работает, но медленно. Ты палитру прямо в трейсер вписывал или сделал подключаемым фрагментом?
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 02:45:24 AM »

I wrote before:
"De-kn and texturing and new coloring and height map = crash..."
Yes i use Knighty's version of raytracer  wink

here i used your heightmap code (hMapType=4)

Hmm.  Builds fine on my computer (although it takes 55 seconds to build on my 8 year old GPU!!!!  so I'm not into Kn2 because of that).  I even ADDED variables to it  (included new multisample coloring algorithms).

I've no clue what's going on.  Kn2 is waaaaayy to slow for me to test.  I'll upload a couple of frags and maybe someone with a modern GPU can test them?
click for 1280x800:

Scorpion- did you get the texture based coloring to work with DE-Kn2?  

Google translate:  "
Вы получите текстуру в колорит работать с DE - Kn2 ?
Vy poluchite teksturu v kolorit rabotat' s DE - Kn2 ?
Scorpion- Я прошу прощения за отсутствие свои сообщения давно ! Я никогда не вернулся к вам тогда ... рада, что ты по-прежнему вокруг .
Scorpion- YA proshu proshcheniya za otsutstviye svoi soobshcheniya davno ! YA nikogda ne vernulsya k vam togda ... rada, chto ty po-prezhnemu vokrug ."

hmm... I better learn more languages!  

So, I'll explain the new coloring algorithm in the next post, after dinner.  For now, a couple of images (click to enlarge):

* mengermultisampleKN2.frag (29.88 KB - downloaded 91 times.)
* DE-Kn2ColorandHeightmap.frag (39.23 KB - downloaded 97 times.)

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »

Hmm.  Builds fine on my computer (although it takes 55 seconds to build on my 8 year old GPU!!!!  so I'm not into Kn2 because of that).  I even ADDED variables to it  (included new multisample coloring algorithms).

I've no clue what's going on.  Kn2 is waaaaayy to slow for me to test.  I'll upload a couple of frags and maybe someone with a modern GPU can test them?[/url]
Do not worry.
I just use another modification of Knighty's raytracer (all #defines are turnoff). It's hard to calculate - just limits of my GPU. Now i use light version (original DE-Kn2) It's all right.
code of crash the same like i run Patrick's terrain generator with all functions
Code:
Could not link shaders: Fragment info
-------------

Internal error: assembly compile error for fragment shader at offset 462998:
-- error message --
line 16246, column 1:  error: too many instructions
-- internal assembly text --
!!NVfp5.0
OPTION NV_gpu_program_fp64;
OPTION NV_bindless_texture;
# cgc version 3.4.0001, build date May 11 2015
# command line args:
#vendor NVIDIA Corporation
#version 3.4.0.1
#profile gp5fp

Сергей, приложи код с ошибкой, а то я не пойму.
У меня палитры господина M Benesi работают без проблем в быстром трейсере, с минимальной корректировкой в ДЕ.
DE-Kn2 уменя тоже работает, но медленно. Ты палитру прямо в трейсер вписывал или сделал подключаемым фрагментом?
Уже не важно. Причину вылета я знаю.
Пока вписываю в код рендерера, когда определюсь с составными частями - что часто нужно а что нет, кое-что вынесу в отдельные файлы.

upd:. tested bump-mapping with high values of TextureSpeed

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:15:38 PM by Crist-JRoger » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:48 AM »

You got it to work very well with those terrains, so that's good enough for me.  cheesy

Heightmap for roughness, and multisample for variation of color, click to enlarge:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:07:37 AM by M Benesi » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2015, 07:59:31 AM »

Still working on the coloring algorithm.  Don't want to make a tutorial, and then have everything change...

Changed stuff around a little bit.  There is a "legacy coloring" checkbox in the coloring tab.  Palette now has a "palette percent" to determine how much is palette in the coloring assignment- it overrides the sample coloring as well.

You can load 4 textures (which might be overkill) and use them for heightmaps, base color, or the color sampling thing.

Still not done by a long shot... but getting closer to a decent coloring/heightmap implementation.

Played around with heighmaps.. fun for texturing the Menger:

* Fast-RaytracerMultiSampleWork.frag (23.5 KB - downloaded 92 times.)
* mengermultisampleWork.frag (28.47 KB - downloaded 93 times.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:06:52 AM by M Benesi » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2015, 08:46:37 PM »

Need to find more of those heightmaps the Mayans use...

Positive, positive heightmap, positive negative heightmap, and positive negative with another iteration:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: