Logo by simon.snake - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 04:05:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: L-systems on steroids: No Man's Sky  (Read 1546 times)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« on: July 15, 2015, 03:17:09 AM »

I thought there were posts about this game before already but the (very weak) forum search function didn't bring anything up so perhaps not?
Well, now there is anyway.
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021805/Art-Direction-Bootcamp-How-I
Enjoy!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »

haha, great thank you for this, very entertaining wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:51:04 AM »

lol, very nice talk, ok, but one tinyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy liiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle thing, the art director is overdoing the hue-complemtary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the images look like i run them through the hsv color filter, to get most out of it they need to induce real random (based on a seed wink  ) for the color complementary or color ranges section, it might be that they say its ok, but this strong contrasts are far to artsy in my eyes wink

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »

btw. looking foorward playing that game!!!!!!!!!

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:55:44 AM »

what i like particulary is the proposal to improve development of stuff, for procedural generation, i am still waiting for a DE based modelling tool ... Sceptical i am always thinking about such but hope that someone more intelligent can start it already ... and the mantra "hybrids" is proposed as well, yay, thats the way to go! hybrid of vector graphics/de based graphics, hybrid of generated/hand painted, hybrids of methods ... cheesy

---

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:00:43 AM »

So that's actually the first time for you hearing about that game?
Well I personally do like the saturated colors a lot, even if they are of questionable realism. They are in stark contrast to all the browns and greys we see nowadays.
There's a lot of info, speculation and excitement about this game all over the internet since quite some time already. The above talk is one of the few at least slightly more technical pieces thus far, which is why I posted it in this category. I wish there was more actual technical bits and less artist's perspective. However, it actually is a genuinely interesting problem to figure out ways to let artists and procedural methods work together hand in hand.
If you want more info about how that game plays or a ton more material including video footage of how it actually looks like in action, a quick Google or YouTube search should not disappoint. smiley
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »

here's the old thread:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=19779.0

and thx for this video, nice to see technical details!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »

the game i knew before, and i am waiting for it, but they do not publish release dates sad

---

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »

the game i knew before, and i am waiting for it, but they do not publish release dates sad
i want them to publish the game, not the release date!! wink

but honestly, this has such potential, and the hype around it is soooo big, the expectations so overwhelming, I find it good that they take their time to really make this as good as possible.
Remember the anticipation and potential of Spore or Black&White? And then they fluffed it up because of stupid deadlines..
Good things take time..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jfFlk7BAtPM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/jfFlk7BAtPM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: