Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 09:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Kalles Fraktaler 2.9 and KFMM 1.30  (Read 17757 times)
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »

I have made another small update:

KF 2.9.1

KFMM 1.31
  • Fixed color cycling when color division is more than 1. This is for old stylish solid coloring
  • Enhanced Distance Estimation
  • A second option for entering speed, "Time NS" = Time No Smooth. Because the smooth speed transitions is difficult to control

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »

I really like the exploration experience improvements (mouse wheel zoom around cursor location, using the previous view to give an idea of the zoomed view, animating the transition, only updating completed pixels).

I've not got the hang of the distance colouring though (I'm guessing it's calculated using a method similar to slopes rather than true derivative-based distance estimate?).  The palette repeats in a way that I don't like - I'd rather it stops at the end, so dense regions aren't so aliased and grainy while sparse regions are still bold.  I ended up combining 4 slope-colouring images at 90deg angle increments in GIMP using the Darken Only layer mode, then post-processing a bit (contrast stretch, blur to remove some grainyness, downscaling), to give something that looks more like what I want (top image, second image is one of the angles, parameter file attached too).

Some other minor things I ran into:
* auto-solve glitches isn't on by default, which meant that my first zooming ended up pixelated at double precision limit (I don't remember exactly which option fixed it, maybe it was a different option)
* reuse reference can't be selected at the same time as auto glitch solving
* I couldn't get the palette waves (the one below the infinite waves) to work properly, no matter what I chose for offsets it just ended up shades of grey when all the periods were the same
* reducing contrast then increasing it again gives a posterized effect (colour precision is lost when reducing contrast)
* distance colouring didn't do what I expected (see above, maybe an "all-directions/fake-de" toggle for the slope colouring would be an idea?)
* would be cool to be able to set the bright and dark colours for slope colouring, rather than just white/black - or even a second palette that gets applied according to the angle of the slope (which could be used for the previous point too)
* at one point the timer stopped updating in realtime, but when the image completed it showed the time (5:48.923 done ref 34)
* the menus are a bit confusing (reorganising them into submenus for different aspects could help)

I tested the 32bit version with WINE on Debian.

* testing-new-exploration-experience.png (136.7 KB, 600x300 - viewed 339 times.)

* testing-new-exploration-experience-kfr.jpg (79.3 KB, 600x300 - viewed 324 times.)
* testing-new-exploration-experience.kfr.txt (1.19 KB - downloaded 135 times.)
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »

I really like the exploration experience improvements (mouse wheel zoom around cursor location, using the previous view to give an idea of the zoomed view, animating the transition, only updating completed pixels).
Thanks smiley
I've not got the hang of the distance colouring though (I'm guessing it's calculated using a method similar to slopes rather than true derivative-based distance estimate?).  The palette repeats in a way that I don't like - I'd rather it stops at the end, so dense regions aren't so aliased and grainy while sparse regions are still bold.  I ended up combining 4 slope-colouring images at 90deg angle increments in GIMP using the Darken Only layer mode, then post-processing a bit (contrast stretch, blur to remove some grainyness, downscaling), to give something that looks more like what I want (top image, second image is one of the angles, parameter file attached too).
Indeed, DE is inspired by Mighty Mandel smiley
However I have attached what I wanted to achieve, several layes with different colors.
Background is blue. First layer is black, second layers is dark green and third layer is yellow. Each layer comes from a close passage of a Minibrot.
Some other minor things I ran into:
* auto-solve glitches isn't on by default, which meant that my first zooming ended up pixelated at double precision limit (I don't remember exactly which option fixed it, maybe it was a different option)
* reuse reference can't be selected at the same time as auto glitch solving
You cannot combine reuse reference and automatic glitch correction, since reuse reference means that one reference only is used and glitch correction involves several references. Reuse reference is meant to be used for the frames closest to the final minibrot in a Movie smiley
* I couldn't get the palette waves (the one below the infinite waves) to work properly, no matter what I chose for offsets it just ended up shades of grey when all the periods were the same
If you use e.g. 4 periods on 128 colors, you would need to offset it with 16 in order to move it half a period.
If you use 32 periods on 128 colors, you would need to offset it with 2 in order to move it half a period.
* reducing contrast then increasing it again gives a posterized effect (colour precision is lost when reducing contrast)
Yes, reducing contrast to grayish colors and then back makes color information to be lost

I need to come back on the other comments smiley

* layers.jpg (219.49 KB, 800x450 - viewed 563 times.)
* layers.kfr.txt (9.71 KB - downloaded 135 times.)

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:33 PM »

However I have attached what I wanted to achieve, several layes with different colors.
Background is blue. First layer is black, second layers is dark green and third layer is yellow. Each layer comes from a close passage of a Minibrot.
Very nice!  I'll try the parameter file soon to see how you did it.
You cannot combine reuse reference and automatic glitch correction, since reuse reference means that one reference only is used and glitch correction involves several references. Reuse reference is meant to be used for the frames closest to the final minibrot in a Movie smiley
I described a method for finding secondary references using the glitch detection test:  http://www.fractalforums.com/announcements-and-news/pertubation-theory-glitches-improvement/msg84154/#msg84154
The primary reference can be re-used (along with its series approximation coefficients), the secondary references don't need to be recomputed from scratch (they are found at their own period) - it turns out that a single iteration of Newton's method is almost always enough, and using the double precision derivative computed for distance estimation is usually enough, so it's quite cheap to find the next reference.  I haven't released my implementation yet, it still has too many annoying bugs (sometimes zooming too quickly in the GUI crashes in an infinite loop waiting for worker threads that already exited, sometimes a bad primary reference is used giving a blank screen or other wrong appearance...).  But no time to fix them for a few months...
If you use e.g. 4 periods on 128 colors, you would need to offset it with 16 in order to move it half a period. If you use 32 periods on 128 colors, you would need to offset it with 2 in order to move it half a period.
Thanks for the explanation smiley  I thought period meant the length of the cycle, but it seems it's the number of cycles inside the palette length (so more like a frequency than a period).
windwakr
Forums Newbie

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 07:17:52 AM »

Hi, just want to say that this software is amazing! I never thought I'd be able to view deep zooms of the Mandelbrot set so quickly.

I have a request, though. Could you add a lossless image save option(like PNG or BMP)? JPG has too many ugly artifacts, even with high quality. I was looking into adding this for myself, but realized the source you provide is from an old version. I'd be missing out on newer features if I built onto that, so I have to ask you to add it.
_BlueGuy_
Forums Newbie

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 01:56:12 AM »

How do u save settings!?
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »

How do u save settings!?
Select "save".....huh?

_BlueGuy_
Forums Newbie

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »

but window size, pallete, etc

edit: figured it out  smiley
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:43:20 PM by _BlueGuy_, Reason: figured out » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: