Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 07:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Continuous crashes loading every previously saved fractal (1.3.14/1.3.15)  (Read 5848 times)
Description: Bug, crach
istinn
Forums Freshman

« on: July 02, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »

Continuous crashes loading every previously saved fractal (1.3.14/1.3.15)
logs attached

* Mandel_Machine_1.3.15_x64_crash_logs_v1.zip (19.7 KB - downloaded 114 times.)
Botond Kósa
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. This crash arose at the exact same line of code as the one reported last week by CmdrKeen. I am working on a solution. I could not locate the cause for this particular crash so far, but found 3 other independent bugs in different codepaths. Expect a bugfix version in about a week.

Check out my Mandelbrot set explorer:
http://web.t-online.hu/kbotond/mandelmachine/
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:22:16 AM »

I noticed that it helps to not load the supersampling setting. It doesn't matter wether it's off, 2×2 or anything else. Just not loading it helps.

stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:55:20 AM »

Wherever you have the main Mandel Machine executable stored, there is a subfolder titled "history". Delete the entire contents of the history folder.

Mandel Machine should now open normally. To prevent future issues, click the checkbox "delete history upon exit" to clear history whenever you close Mandel Machine. Mandel Machine should start up more quickly, as well as free up hard drive space by removing old history (mmit files in history can become extremely large if you frequently render huge resolution or high Anti Alias settings).

A better option would be to limit either the number of history resore points or the total size of history cache. 32 history items should be enough to undo if you made a mistake. I had thousands of entries in my history folder at one point taking up gigabytes of space and Mandel Machine took forever to load.

I posted in another thread about the issue. History is best deleted on exit for optimal performance. It would be nice to retain the last location however in the event of a crash. The catch-22 is if this location data causes an additional "crash", you get locked out. A popup dialog to retrieve or discard the last known location upon startup after a crash would alleviate the issue.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:08:16 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: