Logo by JosLeys - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:19:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: WAV -> MIDI converter?  (Read 5367 times)
audiofractalman
Forums Freshman

« on: June 10, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »

Hi - I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting in the correct format. (not sure about the "Description:" field)

Does anyone know of a good .wav to .mid converter, preferably free, for windows? It would need to be able to convert micro-tonal wavs accurately.

Thanks, Bill

https://sites.google.com/site/audiofractals/home

- Bill
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »

Hi - I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting in the correct format. (not sure about the "Description:" field)

Does anyone know of a good .wav to .mid converter, preferably free, for windows? It would need to be able to convert micro-tonal wavs accurately.

Thanks, Bill

https://sites.google.com/site/audiofractals/home

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

I use Amazing Midi  ( http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~araki/amazingmidi/ ) but it is FAR from accurate!  Personally, as a non-musician, I enjoy the errors and inaccuracies.  But I never claimed to be sane  (nobody would believe me anyhow, so what would be the point?).

Sorry, but I never heard of an accurate one, but at least Amazing Midi is free!

Hope that helps and good luck on the quest.  In fact, if you find a better one that is free, please post the information here!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
audiofractalman
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:58:38 PM »

Thanks for the reference. Like you, I enjoy the real thing...warts and all...but in reading some of the posts, it appears that some people here want a midi file (so they can grow their own warts?)

I was looking for an easy solution. I know the micro-tonal part will be a serious hangup. But some of my files need it.

- Bill
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »

I think converting from wave (back to) midi is still a pain for almost any software available. Seems to fall in the same pit as image recognition, understanding literature and stuff like that. With some very specific things this might all work, like music with only one voice at a time, in known scales and with a clear pulse (or you have to tell the software the BPM yourself).

I don't have any experience with software for wave-to-midi, but here are some:

Converting from audio formats to MIDI

Converting in the other direction is a challenging research problem requiring software that can detect the pitch of the notes being played. At present, only single melodic lines can be converted with any degree of accuracy. We'd be very interested in helping a developer who has made progress with such software in helping it reach a wider audience through Audacity. Meantime, here are a few programs you could try:
WavetoMidi (Cross-platform, Open Source)
AudiotoMidi (Windows)
Intelliscore Polyphonic (Windows)
Digital Ear (Windows)
AmazingMIDI (Windows) free
WidiSoft (Windows, OS X)
Other shareware programs
Source: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Midi
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »

Thanks for the reference. Like you, I enjoy the real thing...warts and all...but in reading some of the posts, it appears that some people here want a midi file (so they can grow their own warts?)

I was looking for an easy solution. I know the micro-tonal part will be a serious hangup. But some of my files need it.

I think the only reason some people want midi is because some software that syncs animations to music works either exclusively, or best, with midi files.

wav to midi is self defeating for anything except solo instruments.  It has no way of telling what it is "hearing" to separate things.

I use it with voice files of my favorite woman in the universe talking, then add echoes and effects followed by several passes in Amazing Midi getting different instruments and finally combining them all in Audacity  (a free audio editor).

If you want examples, they are horrible - but I use it for soundtracks in my videos so just watch any of those and see/hear what I am talking about   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »

Audio file -> Tarsos -> Scala -> pitch bended midi  afro
audiofractalman
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 04:38:52 AM »

A little (or lot) too cryptic for me.

- Bill
0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 05:13:59 AM »

A little (or lot) too cryptic for me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tarsos&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Tarsos+music
Scala Home Page
audiofractalman
Forums Freshman

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »

found it - thanks. It appears to be a pretty steep learning curve, but looks interesting. If it really does pitch bend translation, it must be a good micro-tonal discriminator in the right circumstances.

Thanks for the pointer.

Bill

- Bill
audiofractalman
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »

I'm trying out Scala...it is impressive, but so far I can't find any way to import a wav file or have a midi generated from one. Am I missing something key, or am I going to have to convert the wav file to a text file first?

- Bill
Karmic Beats
Forums Freshman

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »

wav to midi is about like trying to reverse compile a program.  You never get even remotely close to the original source code.

At Karmic Beats I provide binaural, isochronic, solfeggio frequencies, ASMR, meditations and meditation advice, free of charge to all who choose to benefit. I put my positive energies into the beats and through them out into the cosmos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKlawdek
audiofractalman
Forums Freshman

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:16 AM »

wav to midi is about like trying to reverse compile a program.  You never get even remotely close to the original source code.

Understood. However, all I am looking for is a single note at a time converter. I would like to preserve the note and relative timing. I am generating single tones using a software based tone generator (fractint) and recording as wav file. I would like to convert the generated tones into simple midi. The generated tones are not necessarily in full or semi tones...could be a "pitch bend" set of tones. I am not attempting to duplicate the tonal qualities of the generated sounds.

- Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: