Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractals are not infinite?  (Read 4437 times)
willvarfar
Explorer

« on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-new-proof-shows-how-some-spaces-cant-always-be-divided-into-smaller-spaces is a nice popular-science article.
asimes
Fractal Lover

asimes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »

I interpreted it to mean that some spaces (or in our point of view some fractals) cannot be divided up evenly no matter how you try in higher dimensions
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »

Yes, not generalized to fractals but space. But the piece of text is not much worth on itself. Nothing is explained, no examples. The last words are a good indication for the rest of it:

So, Manolescu came up with a whole new invariant, which he calls just "beta." Using beta, he was able to show a necessary discontinuity in some spaces, e.g. where things just didn't line up. As such, these spaces were to shown to be indivisible in the most complete sense. There is always something left over.

Triangulation is a tool which can be used to calculate properties of spaces (real world example are the mesher programs in FEA methods). Now these triangles need to line up perfectly, and they won't allow rectangles or other shapes. This is no law, this is just convention. Now insert the meaning of "triangulation" into words like "cutting" and "splitting", after which you can say nonsense like "There Are Spaces That Cannot Be Divided" and allow the things to get stretched out of context even further. Just get me a piece of pie in whatever shape you like and a sharp knife ...
PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »

Youhn, never!
I believe that because fractals are a mathematical construct and don't exist in the physical world without added approximation (ex. you can't zoom in forever and get more detail on a mountian), so you can cut them forever. Basically, you can cut the idea of something up forever, but not the actual thing.
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »

But the piece of text is not much worth on itself. Nothing is explained, no examples.

There are lots of links in the article, e.g. to the main paper http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.2354
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »

I believe that because fractals are a mathematical construct and don't exist in the physical world without added approximation (ex. you can't zoom in forever and get more detail on a mountian), so you can cut them forever. Basically, you can cut the idea of something up forever, but not the actual thing.

I was going to say that, but I say that so much I was getting tired of typing it.  Glad to see somebody else who konws the distinction between a real world object and a mathematical construct!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 02:43:29 AM »

try telling that to this wildberger guy  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WabHm1QWVCA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WabHm1QWVCA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>  he actually argues that math concepts are stupid and wrong if there isnt a real-world manifestation of them somewhere   grin
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: