Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D "shadow" of the quaternion mandelbrot  (Read 471 times)
laser blaster
Iterator

« on: July 31, 2014, 03:47:36 AM »

I was wondering if the quaternion mandelbrot set was more complex than it appears. If you take a 3D slice of it, the result is only fractal in 2 dimensions, but the real quaternion mandy is 4-dimensional - perhaps there are 3 dimensions worth of fractal complexity hiding in it, that can be revealed with the right visualization method. Well, that was how my thinking went, anyway.

So my idea was, instead of taking a 3D slice of the 4D shape, to project the shadow of the 4D object into a 3D space. Rendering such a visualization requires a brute force search across a 2-dimensional space, for each pixel. But GPU rendering is fast, and I have a powerful GPU, so I gave it a go in Fragmentarium. The initial result looked almost identical to the standard lathed quaternion brot. Adding a rotation to the 4d bulb gave different results, but none of them looked exciting. Whipped cream everywhere.

So, pretty much the whole idea was a failure, haha. I thought someone might be interested to hear about my experiment, though. Here's a picture.

* Quaternion_Shadow.jpg (30.39 KB, 600x511 - viewed 77 times.)
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

There isn't.  The math works out to be a surface of revolution around one dimension so no projection will work out to be interesting.

All code submitted by me is in the public domain. (http://unlicense.org/)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: