Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 01:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is there a name/variable for "amount of detail visible at fixed resolution" ?  (Read 3293 times)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »

Hi there!
I'm still working hard to get my head around some parts of the whole fractals in the universe thing.

One question popped up that I don't find an answer to:

Is there a name or a variable for the difference of relative detail that can be seen in different areas of the m-set?
I know, it's infinite, but if we agree upon this fixed resolution, there can be very different amounts of information. Attached is a picture that should explain what I mean, left side has relatively little detail, the right side as lots of detail.
If you safe each as a jpeg, the different amount of information becomes clear..

so, any scientific name for that kind of stuff?
and if not, what would you call it, how would you describe it?

regards,
chilli

* comparison.jpg (145.15 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 412 times.)

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »

I know, it's infinite, but if we agree upon this fixed resolution, there can be very different amounts of information. Attached is a picture that should explain what I mean, left side has relatively little detail, the right side as lots of detail. ...

I believe the variable in that example, if they are both the same location, would be "Iterations" - or maybe "Bailout"

I often misunderstand questions, but in this case it looks like it would be simply the number of iterations (again, if they are the same location!).

If different locations, then the word would simply be Detail, I suppose  bubble gum

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »

hmm, there might be a word for it, but since i do not recall it ... what about: (logarithmic) density ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »

if it had been iterations i now ould be like  head banging wall crazy eyes
but I indeed mean different locations, but at the same zoom-level.

mh.. but iterations and bailout are clearly closely related. with too little iterations you won't see the details. and there are far more "divided" regions with bailout.

logarithmic density describes it not bad, I think.
(I had just hope there was an existing, official term for this - maybe someone else remembers?)

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »

if it had been iterations i now ould be like  head banging wall crazy eyes
but I indeed mean different locations, but at the same zoom-level.

mh.. but iterations and bailout are clearly closely related. with too little iterations you won't see the details. and there are far more "divided" regions with bailout.

logarithmic density describes it not bad, I think.
(I had just hope there was an existing, official term for this - maybe someone else remembers?)

I knew I was misunderstanding something!

I thought the images were of the same location and if they were, iterations would be the only variable that could do anything like that.

Sorry.

But, yeah.  I have no idea what sort of term would be called for here either   blindfold

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »

Isn't it something like 'amount of information' you are aiming for?
If we make a scale from 0 to 100, one color only=0, indistinguishable noise=100.
The left of your image=10 and right=50 or something like that.
smiley

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:16:51 AM »

arrh, its a shame i have the word at hand

... but cant the density described as "average iterations" for the whole image? the left one would have a lower average iteration compared to the right one, problem is just that the infinite areas of the minibrot outnumber anything wink

---

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »

Isn't it something like 'amount of information' you are aiming for?
yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about - i just wonder if this has been described somewhere already.

If it pops into your mind at anytime - please bump this thread with it! smiley
(german word would be perfectly fine!)

... but cant the density described as "average iterations" for the whole image? the left one would have a lower average iteration compared to the right one, problem is just that the infinite areas of the minibrot outnumber anything wink
I don't see that as a problem, this is actually the reason that brought me to the question. And I actually like "average iterations". It comes pretty close..

marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:45:34 AM »

yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about - i just wonder if this has been described somewhere already.
If it pops into your mind at anytime - please bump this thread with it! smiley
(german word would be perfectly fine!)
I don't see that as a problem, this is actually the reason that brought me to the question. And I actually like "average iterations". It comes pretty close..

entropy?
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »

Another related buzzword is "Minimum Description Length":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_description_length
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »

There's a few relevant concepts from information theory. One that relates to how compressible data is is Kolmogorov complexity. Only problem is, for Mandelbrot images you can represent the image with a Mandelbrot program and the resolution, center, and magnification. That leads to all Mandelbrot images having a Kolmogorov complexity of a ln m + b, for some constants a and b, with m the image magnification (which, as it increases, demands the center coordinates be specified with increasing precision). Well, technically that's an upper bound; if you get a blank image there will be a more compact description still.

For a heuristic that will strongly contrast your left image and your right image, you could do worse than average distance estimate of pixel divided by image width in Mandelbrot units. If at the same magnification the left image would have a higher average distance estimate than the right, as the left has giant open areas but almost every pixel in the right hits or lands adjacent to a filament. Dividing by image width in Mandelbrot units is the same as multiplying by magnification, and has the effect that similarly sparse images at different magnifications would give similar numbers. The left image should have an average distance estimate of a bit under half the image width, since the only filaments are close to the image borders. The normalizing division makes that into simply 0.5, independently of the actual magnification of the left image.

lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »

Aside from the minibrot, I think the standard deviation of the iterations would be better than the average (mean).  Consider two variations of the left side, one with a bailout of 4 and another with a bailout of 4e(somebignumber).  Clearly, the larger the bailout, the larger the average number of iterations, but both of these versions would have the same information.  The standard deviation gets to the amount of variation over the image, which is one aspect of the information content.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »

now that you mention it, i dont think iterations are suitable, just because that bailout is an artificial number and if choosen high enough, there would just be a distinguisation between inside/outside

wouldnt the average distance estimation be a better candidate to describe the complexity better ? any point "inside" would not count, all the others distance estimations averaged would come out to "how many points are close to a mset"

---

Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »

If you zoom in to a sparse area like the left, then close to a minibrot, and then center the zoom again, you will pass a new sparse area but with much higher iterations also on the lowest pixels.
So I think the difference of pixels in the same view is more important, except for pixels inside any minibrots.

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »

I would say the max iteration number minus the iterations that are skipped thanks to series approximation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: