Logo by visual - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 2D platform game based on Fractals  (Read 4746 times)
Mrz00m
Fractal Lover

« on: July 20, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »

I was writing some fractal plants recently and i stumbled on some code that is OK for making a 2D side scrolling adventure game:

this is maybe abit of a waste of time to play so only spend 1  minute on it, pres E R E R many times if you start to fall into space. Thanks:)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114667999/2dfdemo.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:56:16 PM by Mrz00m » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:19:01 AM »

haha, what is it !+! is the goal to hope to land on the ladder at beginning and then crawl to the other end ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Mrz00m
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

Oh someone played it!

it was just a test of an L-System for designing 2D games. it was cool, some pretty patterns generated faster than with building levels by hand. Just a fast test to see if anyone likes walking around on a kindof fractal platform. the good thing is that players can design their game as they progress. the drawback is that L-Systems are so simple, if i try to fill the levels to make more than a line, it will destroy the outline of the l system...
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »

fiddling with l systems is not so hard wink

try not thinking of the pure replacing, but just by using the building blocks, for example, if you have building block straight, left corner, right corner a level is just a sequence of these building blocks, making sure every block connects to another giving you a connected line for every combination

so, when you have designed such building blocks with apropriate in/out settings you can basically exchange each base building block by another more complex building block, e.g. define a sub-level the only thing you need to take care is that the entry point and the exit point of such a block is equal to the upper one wink

extending such a system by a node/branching system comes then just natural wink

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

and with that you can then apply a more randomized approach an use the replace function, what i mean is just to think about what you want to express with such a system

---

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »

surprised

Nice game. smiley

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
slon_ru
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »

Nice idea  A Beer Cup !

Mrz00m
Fractal Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement  Azn Someone told me i should make space invaders running and flying towards the player and he has to build some barriers.

The cool thing is that it can also build rooms and courtyards, i.e. i can make mazes with many kinds of walls, and then indeed i can swap the L-System blocks for any kinds of mesh, diamonds, spherical, hollow cubes, pyramids... that would be fun!

oh ok i see what you mean, for the 2d version made of a varied number of forms. i can try some... it's triky to keep the platformer appearance.

Structure-Synth is based on the same principle, lsystems with branches... i went 3d with the LSystem as well, i wanted a 3d spirograph, which i never managed!!!! however i wrote a chaos version where the lsystem turns towards gravity points and it does crazy things... and then i wrote a tubing mesh for it... which is part of the fractal shootey game where you fly in a tube and etc. mouse wheel to go faster:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114667999/shootey/shootey.html

realtime physics in a tube!!! i am imagining disintegrating space invaders bouncing around the walls crashing etc.

except i am developing 10 games at the same time at the moment  tongue stuck out

i got a video of the spirograph chaos attempt... sorry you have to stand above the monitor and turn it from side to side because i just realised the green is not visiable from that angle. it's too round.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LTtyZOQjEBk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/LTtyZOQjEBk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:15:42 PM by Mrz00m » Logged
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »

cool, its fun to just rotate the tube  (A & D keys) with the shoot held down. and the first one was interesting as well.
Mrz00m
Fractal Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:26:44 PM »

It's quite difficult to write many algorithms together to make a game! i can often write 2-3 to make a pattern, it's a bit like writing a symphone i can only write 1 melody, and the symultaneously melodies is really a disaster. here is the engine of the 2d platform game, it has some parallels with mandelboxes. jump to 4 minutes fot he main thriller sequence. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eYL7b4jtEHs&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/eYL7b4jtEHs&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Mrz00m
Fractal Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

I'd  love to know how to make houses and any kinds of 3D shapes using the 2D shape generation program...

I am confused about the options. here is a different version of the same engine, you can run version 4,12 and 13 on it if you want:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114667999/Spagetitree demo version/Spagetitree demo version.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: