Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 08:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 'New' entries being added?  (Read 7329 times)
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »

Hi

Is it just me or are some new images being submitted to the competition?

Is the gallery still allowing new images to be added to the competition galleries?

I suppose another answer is that the original member has changed something (edited the entry) and it now has today's date.

I don't mind if it's a genuine error and being corrected, but if not, what's happening?  Just wondering.....

In the Still Frame gallery there are 5 entries that are after the 'deadline'.  One of them was only an hour into the 1st so I think that's ok, considering date lines, etc. but the other 4 are well into June.

Simon
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:00:43 PM by simon.snake » Logged

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »

those into june are getting removed, yay thank you for noting

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »

Yes! I don't stand if two my fractal pictures was moved from STILL FRAME to INCENDIA GALLERY, how could on 18 June was posted yet four images at STILL FRAME? I know that mean cheating. That not exist conquerers advantaged, and this competition going fairplay. ASTROARS is user came now this week.
 huh? fiery
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:51:40 AM by hgjf2 » Logged
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

Looking at the bigger picture, the gallery is configured incorrectly if it allows any new posts to be made in the three competition galleries.

Surely changing that would solve the issue?

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »

Yes! I don't stand if two my fractal pictures was moved from STILL FRAME to INCENDIA GALLERY, if now on 18 June was posted yet four images at STILL FRAME? I know that mean cheating.
 huh? fiery

I prefer to think that they did not realize the entry period was over, just as you did not realize the limits on entries.

Honest mistakes happen, and "cheating" implies they tried to sneak something by.  I understand the problems with language barriers and it's possible English gives people trouble - it's my native language and sometimes the many meanings of various words gives me pause!

The images were removed from the contest part of the gallery, but the threads seem to still be in the forum.  I will move them soon, when I get time on a faster internet connection.

We are already discussing way to improve things for next year and any suggestions are welcome.

Maybe we need several languages for rules like deadlines and image count limits?

No harm done, and good luck to all who entered!

Don't forget to vote by rating images and videos!  Only about 10 days left in the voting period as of this post   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »

Looking at the bigger picture, the gallery is configured incorrectly if it allows any new posts to be made in the three competition galleries.

Surely changing that would solve the issue?

Hi Mr. Snake   afro

Last time I tried that, a couple years ago, I locked everybody out of the gallery for a couple hours   hurt

Some settings get shared with the entire gallery.  I wanted to experiment with that, but certainly not while the contest is running!  I would rather remove late entries than lock people out again   clown

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »

Last time I tried that, a couple years ago, I locked everybody out of the gallery for a couple hours   hurt

Oops!  I can see why you wouldn't want to change that at this time.

Thanks for the explanation.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »

that is correct, the gallery behaves strange, or i(we) use it wrong, it is easier for us to remove entries submitted to late by hand

---

Tabasco Raremaster
Iterator

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 01:17:55 AM »

In my case it was in the middle of the night,after a long party week-end at +/-01:30 .
When the entry was submitted I noticed that it was the 2nd of June already.
Later I got a note that the image was removed for a good reason.
Funny part to me is that there are issues every year.
But hey , no worries Simon.
It will be a fair contest.

http://tabasco-raremaster.deviantart.com/

If you dislike it press; Alt+F4
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »

right, something goes not as smooth as intendet as every year, BUT, a slight change is this year, halve a day into 1st of june was accepted, this is because the last time zone that enters 1st of june was relevant (and will be in the future ) but full days are too late, sry

---

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »

... a slight change is this year, halve a day into 1st of june was accepted, this is because the last time zone that enters 1st of june was relevant (and will be in the future ) but full days are too late, sry

I hope you find a consistent line some day. All the years back, the end of submission period was announced to 1st of june and then the doors closed at the end of 31st of may. This year the end was announced 31st of may 11:59:59 pm CEST, but entries were accepted far into 1st of june. I would wish a clear deadline for everyone, 'cause I don't want to conduct a debate, when a sumission posted 1st of june 12:04pm wins the contest...
In a forum with a math topic we can await, that competitors are able to translate CEST to their local time.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »

right, something goes not as smooth as intendet as every year, BUT, a slight change is this year, halve a day into 1st of june was accepted, this is because the last time zone that enters 1st of june was relevant (and will be in the future ) but full days are too late, sry

On a related note, part of the problem is that the forum is running on an old version and upgrades would break a lot of plug-ins we use.  Notably, the gallery.

We could end up archiving the existing site and starting a brand new forum with newer plug-ins and better functionality, but given that this site is based on "fractalforums.com/index.php" and not "fractalforums.com/forum" or some other directory, it makes redirecting complicated and there has been little motivation to work in that direction.

I hope you find a consistent line some day. All the years back, the end of submission period was announced to 1st of june and then the doors closed at the end of 31st of may. This year the end was announced 31st of may 11:59:59 pm CEST, but entries were accepted far into 1st of june. I would wish a clear deadline for everyone, 'cause I don't want to conduct a debate, when a sumission posted 1st of june 12:04pm wins the contest...
In a forum with a math topic we can await, that competitors are able to translate CEST to their local time.

It was made clear that entries could be up June 1st in many time zones  (a concept I also disagree with, despite being one who posted at about 8:00 PM on May 31st my time, but 2 to 3 AM (on June 1st!) forum time).

There were no loud objections when the idea was proposed, so we felt it was OK with the community.

If this bothers people, I'll gladly disqualify my entries to keep the peace  (I mean, it's not like I have a chance anyhow!)  (I was just doing my usual throwing in of something different than the usual fare).

Even if one of them miraculously does win, there really is no debate as these entries  (mine and the other few in this time range) were all within the allowed time stated.

To paraphrase your point ; In a forum with a math topic we can assume that competitors are able to abide by whatever the stated rules are for that particular situation.

In fact, there are changes and unique situations every year!  I doubt that will go away.  However a single deadline for all entries, regardless of geographical location, is something I can easily agree with as being best for everybody involved!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:53:22 PM by Sockratease, Reason: Speelinf Eroorz » Logged

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »

There were no loud objections when the idea was proposed, so we felt it was OK with the community.

If this bothers people, I'll gladly disqualify my entries to keep the peace  (I mean, it's not like I have a chance anyhow!)  (I was just doing my usual throwing in of something different than the usual fare).

Don't get me wrong. I don't wanna change rules for this year's contest. It's just a suggestion for the future. A clear deadline might also help to be taken more seriously outside the forums...

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »

Don't get me wrong. I don't wanna change rules for this year's contest. It's just a suggestion for the future. A clear deadline might also help to be taken more seriously outside the forums...
Yes. Yet the administrator don't disabled posibility to post anything at "7th anual competition - still frame" chapter at "gallery" section. Allthrough the 7th anual compo is over that now is voting period
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »

Yes. Yet the administrator don't disabled posibility to post anything at "7th anual competition - still frame" chapter at "gallery" section. Allthrough the 7th anual compo is over that now is voting period

A valid concern, shared by us and other members.

In fact this question has already been addressed in this very thread!

Hi ...   afro

Some settings get shared with the entire gallery.  I wanted to experiment with that, but certainly not while the contest is running!  I would rather remove late entries than lock people out again   clown

And also from this thread, a discussion of why there are issues upgrading to a better gallery :

On a related note, part of the problem is that the forum is running on an old version and upgrades would break a lot of plug-ins we use.  Notably, the gallery.

We could end up archiving the existing site and starting a brand new forum with newer plug-ins and better functionality, but given that this site is based on "fractalforums.com/index.php" and not "fractalforums.com/forum" or some other directory, it makes redirecting complicated and there has been little motivation to work in that direction...

Hope that helps clarify the situation for you.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: