Logo by HPDZ - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 02:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Blocked from reading thread?  (Read 2505 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

I'm being blocked from reading a thread here titled "Hair or Fur or something else", whose original post was posted by hirnlaich. I'm told it's either nonexistent or "off limits", and presumably if it was nonexistent a URL for it would not have been posted by FractalForums itself to the FractalForums Facebook feed, which leaves "off limits".

If there are going to be threads around here that ordinary users are blocked from even viewing, for whatever reason, then they probably should not generate Facebook links, or the links they generate should have FB privacy settings limiting visibility to the same set of users that have permission to view the threads here at FF (if that is even possible to program).

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »

My guess would be, that the thread was deleted.
Did a topic "test subject" just get sent to facebook?
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

Yes, and it's showing the same symptoms. Something's very broken. I should not be receiving FB notifications that don't work correctly when I click them.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »

I see it, but that may be moderator permissions.

From what I see it appears to be an image posted in the wrong category (or otherwise not meeting the criteria to be where it was posted) of the competition and perhaps our admin unapproved it or otherwise took action.

The facebook stuff I cannot comment on  (I avoid FB like the disease that I perceive it to be!).

Odds are that such links are automatically generated when something is posted, and if it gets moderated, moved, or deleted after that - the link will be broken.

Ignore the stupid details of the error message as we don't write those and they sometimes do not reflect reality.  Just accept there is an error without trying too hard to interpret the details of the message as it is very often a fruitless effort  (unless you enjoy fruitless efforts, in which case - by all means try!).

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »

pauldelbrot, that thread "test subject" was opened by me. I simply tested my theory. I made a topic and immediately deleted it again. It still shows up on facebook even if it's gone wink
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:22:38 AM »

pauldelbrot, that thread "test subject" was opened by me. I simply tested my theory. I made a topic and immediately deleted it again. It still shows up on facebook even if it's gone wink

OK, that proves nothing is wrong.

The system generates the alert when the topic is created, as it should.

What happens to the topic after that is beyond the control of the alert  (and no alerts are, or should be, generated when topics get deleted or moved or something).

Thanks for confirming that kram!  I didn't know members could delete their threads  (something we may wish to look into, as it could lead to issues if other people have posts in the threads they choose to delete).

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »

I wasn't sure about that either. It didn't even give a special warning about that though: It seems, as far as the system is concerned, deleting a thread is exactly the same as deleting a post which just happens to be the first post in the thread.
I'm not sure how it'd behave if there already are posts after that first one.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:05 AM »

That is correct dudes, facebook and twitter links do not get updated after deletion

since the image is there, i really think it has just been deleted and resubmitted by him

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »

And you don't block any user from viewing anything, do you? Everything is even accessible even from guests, ie not logged in, right? So it's not even possible?

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

Right, policy is to have everything accessible as guest, only moderators internal board is restricted to admins, so the post has just been deleted by the user

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »

I'm being blocked from reading a thread here titled "Hair or Fur or something else", whose original post was posted by hirnlaich....

Just out of curiousity, when I said I could see it, I meant this post : http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=16084 in the gallery, and this thread in the forum : http://www.fractalforums.com/resemblance/hair-or-fur-or-something-else-t19232/

Is anybody having issues seeing either of those?

Because I see no sign it was deleted and it has been there since this thread started!

Both should be visible to all.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »

both work fine for me
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: