Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 07:53:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Base Geometry  (Read 1726 times)
3DTOPO
Forums Freshman

« on: April 05, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

Greetings,

I am still learning and having a blast!

I was wondering if it is possible to define a base structure (imagine a cylinder, cube, etc.) where the fractal was more or less constrained to the base structure's surface.

If this is possible, could anyone point me towards an example? If it isn't possible, well, that would be good to know too.

Thanks!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »

you can try hybrid IFS in Mandelbulb3d, many base shapes exists, like tori, balls, but many more, and combined with a heightmapIFS you can not only use images but different formulas for the height mapping ... hope i did not talk too much crap, i think it is easily already implemented in the mb3d programme,
perhaps someone else can enlighten the topic a little further (or give an example )

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
3DTOPO
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »

That sounds very promising, thank you!

I think I must be doing something wrong though, because while I am seeing two fractals they appear to be two separate fractals. That is the heightmapIFS is not mapped to the surface of the shape as far as I can tell; the cylinder surface looks unaffected.

I tried this with default settings:

Forumla1: cylinderIFS
 Forumla2: HeightMapIFS
 Forumla3: gnarly2IFS

I tried a bunch of different formulas for 1 and 3 all with pretty much the same results. Do I need to use the "interpolate" or "DEcombinate" or something?
3DTOPO
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »

Hi cKleinhuis,

Is it possible for you to try as you suggest to see if it produces the desired results?

Being a noob that I am, it is hard for me to know if I am doing something wrong or not...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: