Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 04:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: The caves of the hermit community -Dutch Alps  (Read 720 times)
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:23 AM »

The caves of the hermit community -Dutch Alps

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=15574

rotbox
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »

started using ambient occlusion?   cool
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:47:17 AM »

@ quaz0r.  I had to check but you are correct on the AO. I don't usually because I don't have the patience to wait the extra time. I didn't realise it was that obvious, i'm ignorant on this AO, SSAO, Fast AO stuff, so how could you tell I had used AO?

Another question, can you point me to where in the code I can drop the size on the main Mandelbulber window to that which Buddhi uses on his 32-bit releases?

As always, thanks for your 64-bit work smiley smiley smiley

quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:51:26 AM »

AO or no AO is pretty obvious if you run a few renders with it on and off and then compare them, it makes a scene look more organic and more shadowy with smoother transitions between light and dark areas and such...cheap AO like screen space AO is nowhere near as sexy as the real thing, you can likewise see the difference right away if you compare a render with SSAO to the same render with real AO.  SSAO sort of applies the same generic effect uniformly across the image regardless of any actual lighting effects that should be happening, though it is still better than no AO at all.  as far as making the window smaller unfortunately that is a simple matter of gtk themes...at the time i had decided to build my 64bit crossbuild environment statically linked so as to be able to compile the program as a standalone .exe however i didnt know that it would result in precluding one from changing the gtk theme from the default theme. buddhi's 32bit builds are dynamically linked and he includes a slicker looking gtk theme with it.
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »

Thanks quaz0r for explaining about AO for me.

And as far as the window size, its a very minor thing that I can easily live with.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: