Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Video feedback fractal  (Read 2425 times)
kronikel
Navigator

« on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:54 AM »

I've been wanting to make some video feedback fractals <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jj9pbs-jjis&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jj9pbs-jjis&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
but I don't have equipment to do so and I figured why not do it completely through code?
I have a half working program going so far. I can get some sort of cool effects but when I move the "camera" closer to the place that the feedback is being projected it gets whited out (or whatever color is dominant will quickly cover the whole screen)
There would be lots of advantages compared to doing it in the physical world. You could have as many "projectors" as you wanted and it's free.
Anyone ever tried this?
Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:08:39 AM »

It is an interesting topic.

Here is my page on simulated and real video feedback.
http://softology.com.au/videofeedback/videofeedback.htm

I found the most important feature for simulating is contrast adjustment.  Blur then contrast (using different algorithms for both) leads to the familiar fingering striping that many real video feedback shows.

Jason.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:10:17 AM by Softology » Logged
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »

you can play with this in one of my shaders here: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/Msl3RB

(needs webcam)

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »

nice, but how to feed the webcam into the texture huh? i mean on shadertoy, when clicking on a texture no option appears sad

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
eiffie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

The webcam option is under "Video / Webcam" after opening the texture selection window. It is the last video.
kronikel
Navigator

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:02 AM »

I read through the PDF on simulating video feedbacks and found some pretty good info. The way I have been trying it is a bit different but I will definitely try some new things out.
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:46 AM »

I've never tried to simulated this, but thought I'd add that I've had excellent real life results by using the "invert" filter on my video camera, in addition to upping the contrast.
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 11:45:25 AM »

I was only playing about with this the other day.  I plugged my Nokia N8 mobile phone into my TV through HDMI.  I then turned on the video camera and started recording, then placed the camera in various positions to see what effect I got.

I can't find the video but the few pictures I took are nothing to speak about.

Would be nice to see what others come up with.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: