Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 09:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractals in BRONZE  (Read 852 times)
Description: Woohoo!!
C.K.
Explorer

The Artineer

« on: October 16, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »

Finally got this to work.  It's only a prototype, but I'm really happy with it Grin with closed eyes.  Let me know what ya'll think!!

The original was made in M3D and printed in 3D.  I posted up some pictures of it a bit ago.

hsmyers
Navigator

Making Mandelbrots from Newtons for years

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »

Process details? From 3D print onwards? I'd guess print in either dental wax or burn-outable plastic?  A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

--hsm
p.s. great piece BTW

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
C.K.
Explorer

The Artineer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »

The original form from M3D was brought into a CAD environment and split into two halves.  This was done so that the object would fit in the bed of the printer, use less print material, but mostly so that less bronze could be used on casting it.  The two halves were then molded in silicone rubber and then cast in modeling wax (a mixture of Brown Victory Wax and others).  The waxes were then molded in either ceramic shell or a resin bonded sand mold and melted out.  Molten bronze was then poured into the molds and viola!!  Lots of demolding and chasing of course, including welding the two halves together.  The piece was then patinated with a smoke patina (smoke from an oxy-acetylene torch on a waxed surface) and then buffed with a rough sponge to bring out the highlights.

So, yes, it was a burn out Grin with closed eyes.
hsmyers
Navigator

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:28:36 AM »

As someone who as been burning holes in steel toed boots with the occasional splatter (bronze only once TG, steel splatter more than I can count  embarrass)since '75, I've got to ask was this you or under your management?

--hsm
p.s. ceramic or sand or both?
p.s.s. spent > 8 years as sculptor and silversmith before I walked across campus and discovered computers  wink
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:32:04 AM by hsmyers » Logged

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »

Finally got this to work.   It's only a prototype, but I'm really happy with it Grin with closed eyes.   Let me know what ya'll think!!
    The original was made in M3D and printed in 3D.   I posted up some pictures of it a bit ago.
            http://nocache-nocookies.digitalgott.com/gallery/14/9049_16_10_13_10_16_59.jpeg

I am curious as to the dimensions of this object.

The original form from M3D was brought into a CAD environment and split into two halves.   This was done
    so that the object would fit in the bed of the printer, use less print material, but mostly so that less bronze
    could be used on casting it.   The two halves were then molded in silicone rubber and then cast in modeling
    wax (a mixture of Brown Victory Wax and others).   The waxes were then molded in either ceramic shell or
    a resin bonded sand mold and melted out.   Molten bronze was then poured into the molds and viola!!   Lots
    of demolding and chasing of course, including welding the two halves together.   The piece was then
    patinated with a smoke patina (smoke from an oxy-acetylene torch on a waxed surface) and then buffed
    with a rough sponge to bring out the highlights.        So, yes, it was a burn out Grin with closed eyes.

Based upon your description, I am assuming that this is not solid but hollow, how thick are the sides??    cheesy

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »

From the wood grain in the base, I'd estimate it's maybe 6-10 centimeters long and half as wide at its widest points.

C.K.
Explorer

The Artineer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »

p.s. ceramic or sand or both?

Both.  I wanted to see if there was a discernible difference in detail between them.  I couldn't see a difference.  Might stick with the shell though since it's easier for me, personally, to do.

And this is my own work, though it is towards a senior college art show.  I'm much more comfortable with material in my hands than I am with computers, but the computers are growing on me too Grin with closed eyes.

Based upon your description, I am assuming that this is not solid but hollow, how thick are the sides??

About 1/4"-1/2"?  The waxes cast pretty thick and I wanted to play it safe for the first round and make sure they filled.  Could definitely be a lot thinner.

Dimensions are about 7" in the longitudinal direction and about half that in the widest transverse (in and around what Pauldelbrot guessed).

There will hopefully be a few more of these coming.  Now that I have the rubber mold it should be simple to crank them out.  Planning on printing some different ones as well at some point.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:12:28 AM by C.K. » Logged
hsmyers
Navigator

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:21:30 AM »

Re wax mold, pour or injection? I'm guessing pour as this would be a little large for injection?

--hsm

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »

Cool work C.K.!  A Beer Cup afro

C.K.
Explorer

The Artineer

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »

Re wax mold, pour or injection? I'm guessing pour as this would be a little large for injection?

Correct.  This would be too large to inject, at least with the facilities where I'm at.

Cool work C.K.!

Thanks, Kraftwerk!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: