Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:23:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D Printing objects larger than Printer using space-filling curve based chains  (Read 2472 times)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24275#.UkRoSoY5lwg

cheesy
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »

"Hilbert curve – a fractal-based pattern that is the most efficient way of squeezing a single line into a small as space as possible"

Surely this is incorrect, several space filling curves are presumably equally dense, and surely you don't even need a fractal, if the line follows a raster pattern it would be just as efficient, and fewer folds too.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:59:08 AM »

I suppose you could go for any space-filling pattern which, in case of finite resoluion, really doesn't need to be fractal.
However, the hilbert curve is always the same thing, no matter what size you do it. In case of a simple raster-like pattern, where you, say, start zig-zagging a plane and then go into the next plane with another zig and zig zag away until you fill the curve, the precise time of ziging and zaging depends not only on how long the chain is but also on the volume.
In case of the Hilbert curve, you can just keep going with the same pattern until you reach the desired size.

There might also be a stability issue with a naive pattern. Did you watch the video, how the structure is printed? It might be, that the chain would just fall apart preemtpively if you use a simple pattern like stacks of planes of zig-zag-lines, such that the process may be disturbed. The hilbert curve probably has higher structural stability.

Of course I'm not sure if that's the case. It's just a cool application of fractals I found, so I thought I'd share it.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

A good idea for creating larger objects.  In a few years from now, every other home will have a 3-D printer.     cheesy

Can't wait to make my own weapons without having to worry about a license.     evil

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »

Can't wait to make my own weapons without having to worry about a license.     evil
Are you joking or do I just have such a fundamentally different mindset?
I really don't get this.

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: