Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 08:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Any fractal renderer suitable for interactive deep zooming?  (Read 5286 times)
laser blaster
Iterator

« on: August 13, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »

I really like using Fragmentarium to program and view fractals, but it comes up short for deep 2D zooms because the camera position is limited to single-precision. Is there any programmable, fractal renderer that can handle high-precision zooming (at least twice the precision of native doubles) at interactive framerates? CPU-based renderers tend to be pretty slow, so they probably wouldn't be what I'm looking for.

If there's no program out there that's good at this, I suppose I could improve on the gpu-based fractal viewer I'd written a while ago. It supported emulated quad-precision floats, but it had no GUI whatsoever, and only accepted raw glsl code (so none of the modularity that Fragmentarium offers). I gave up on my program because Fragmentarium was so much better, and I don't know the first thing about GUI coding.
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »

I really like using Fragmentarium to program and view fractals, but it comes up short for deep 2D zooms because the camera position is limited to single-precision. Is there any programmable, fractal renderer that can handle high-precision zooming (at least twice the precision of native doubles) at interactive framerates? CPU-based renderers tend to be pretty slow, so they probably wouldn't be what I'm looking for.

If there's no program out there that's good at this, I suppose I could improve on the gpu-based fractal viewer I'd written a while ago. It supported emulated quad-precision floats, but it had no GUI whatsoever, and only accepted raw glsl code (so none of the modularity that Fragmentarium offers). I gave up on my program because Fragmentarium was so much better, and I don't know the first thing about GUI coding.

Instead of using Fragmentariums built-in camera center and zoom factor, you could store the center position in a vec4 uniform, and then create the quad-float in the shader from these four single precision values. (But mouse control would be lost) 

There is also Henry Thasler's Quad-GLSL Mandelbrot viewer, which might be a possible starting point:
http://www.thasler.org/blog/?p=143
laser blaster
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:38:24 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I take it that none of the CPU-based fractal renderers are fast enough to really be called interactive?

I've considered using a vec4 uniform to store position, but I always thought it would be too tedious and slow to position the camera.

Henry Thasler's viewer looks pretty nice, but it's written in C++ and Fortran, and I know nothing of either of those two languages (I've only worked with garbage-collected languages like Java and Python).

I'm thinking that adding a basic GUI to my viewer would probably be the simplest way to get all the features I want. That way, I could code and test fractals in Fragmentarium, then copy out the pre-processed glsl code into my program for high-precision zooming.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: