Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 03:45:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium feature request  (Read 2538 times)
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« on: June 12, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »

I'm still trying to find my way around Fragmentarium, but here is something that I find a bit frustrating : image size.
I have a hard time getting the right aspect ratio on an image by fiddling the size of the image on screen.
What I would like is to be able to enter height and width numerically.

I'm trying to do animations, and the problem here is also that I cannot generate frames that are larger than my computer screen. So HD 1080 is out of the question.

...unless I'm missing something?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

screen resolution indeed is a problem, have you checked the "tile" rendering feature, i think it is meant for rendering large shots, but can not help you with that because have not used it before, and am not aware of a tutorial or something... sad

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
vinz
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:20:36 AM »

yes tile rendering export a picture at : x * viewport height , x * viewport width ... this work well, but i think it would be great to be able to specify a fixed size for the viewport after that we just have to play with the ratio..
there is also an offset in the tile rendering to specify more accuratly the final size, but it's not very handy.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:24:45 AM by vinz » Logged
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:57:55 PM »

I'm still trying to find my way around Fragmentarium, but here is something that I find a bit frustrating : image size.
I have a hard time getting the right aspect ratio on an image by fiddling the size of the image on screen.
What I would like is to be able to enter height and width numerically.

I'm trying to do animations, and the problem here is also that I cannot generate frames that are larger than my computer screen. So HD 1080 is out of the question.

...unless I'm missing something?

No, it is very true - you can't render animations larger then viewport size. And the animation support is quite immature, I'm afraid.

there is also an offset in the tile rendering to specify more accuratly the final size, but it's not very handy.

The padding is meant to be used with the "brute" raytracer, which has some artifacts near the edges of each tiles which needs to be removed.
vinz
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »

The padding is meant to be used with the "brute" raytracer, which has some artifacts near the edges of each tiles which needs to be removed.
Yes! sorry i forgot to specify that it does not appear with all renderers  embarrass
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »

One other thing on animations that looks like a bug: when creating a series of images, the animation window shows the time parameter increasing, as well as the frame number, but it stops counting frames when the count is at 250. It causes no problems, but it looks a bit awkward.
vinz
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »

Hi Syntopia cheesy

i've a special feature request, i dunno if is it complicated or not to add. But it would be very usefull imo
to add a priority level option for the gpu:
in order to be able to continue working with the computer while rendering something, we switch to low.
and when we have done we switch to hi.
i've this option in a gpu render engine that i use, and it's really a must when we have only one gpu for calculation and for display.

i understand, that this is not a priority to add this kind of feature,i don't want to bother you, but anyway, i share the idea.
Thanks you  grin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:55:48 AM by vinz » Logged
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 03:16:16 AM »

Nice idea vinz! Meanwhile, maybe there is some external utility to set GPU priority? I'll do a search.

vinz
Iterator

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 03:20:43 AM »

Hahaha ! i didn't thought about an external utility for that Grin with closed eyes i'll do a search too  grin
vinz
Iterator

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »

Probaly i'm not good enoough with these kind of technical stuff, but i didn't found any relevant informations ...  hurt
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »

The GPU is completely locked until a frame render completes in Fragmentarium. (Which is why Windows just kills the display driver if a GPU operation takes too long - it cannot show a dialog asking if you want to stop the operation).

Theoretically, the new WDDM 1.2 driver model in Windows 8 supports GPU Pre-emption (multitasking as we know it from desktop OS'es), but I don't know if the Nvidia and AMD drivers implement this yet - I don't think so.

The only way to keep the OS responsive is by rendering smaller tiles.
vinz
Iterator

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15:04 PM »

Thanks for the Answer Synthopia , i think it's more clear  cheesy
The render engine that i use do this since a long time, but i assume this is because of cuda stuff.
As you said i will render smaller Tiles ... alien
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »

A new one: modified arcball user input...like you'll see in some art packages.  Arcball when dragging inside some screen-space circle and rotation about the active vector orthogonal to the screen when outside.

All code submitted by me is in the public domain. (http://unlicense.org/)
Adam Majewski
Fractal Lover

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:47:02 PM »

Hi,

I it possible to use a mouse like probe : see some features ( text ) of pixel which is ponted by the mouse ?

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 09:33:34 PM »

the "features" would have to be recorded, sample colors as histogram, z depth, normals, alpha etc.
 this thread might be of interest, what sort of "features" are you interested in and what purpose would they serve?

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: