Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 07:31:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: M-Set on a Partial/Total Mobius Cylinder looks neat  (Read 11227 times)
Levi
Alien

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »

Here are some escape time pics of a power-2 Mandelbulb with the Mobius cylinder rules applied. Same configuration as in OP. I also tried inverting the 'supplementary' component (I don't know if the Mandelbulb's 3rd dimension has a name, I just call it supplementary) in addition to inverting the imaginary component, but it didn't change much.

Top view

Side view
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:29:28 AM by Levi » Logged

Math isn't the solution, math is the question.
PeaBrain
Forums Newbie

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »

Hello, I'm new in the forum. Can you please explain me how I can redo the formula in UltraFractal5?
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »

Nice!  Wrapping in the other direction looks good too, just change the formula line
Code:
p=mobius(p);
to
Code:
p.yx=mobius(p.yx);
(I like this version with the width slider around 1.3).  Also, using the regular quadratic Mandelbrot set distance estimator seems to work well enough.  I tried some experiments by rotating instead of reflecting, basing the angle on the continuous X value, got a sort of sinusoidal strip with cusps opposite needles alternating up and down but it wasn't as interesting.

Not very mathematically satisfying, as Levi mentioned, but the pictures look cool.  A Möbius strip isn't orientable, and squaring complex numbers has to do with doubling orientation relative to a distinguished origin (which also isn't really possible to pick on a loop).  But, it might be worth trying some iterated function systems (using the chaos game method) on a Moebius cylinder: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1369588/is-this-a-valid-example-of-a-non-euclidean-sierpinski-attractor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: