Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 12:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Big OctoKoch - 3D printed fractal  (Read 1250 times)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »

Big OctoKoch - 3D printed fractal

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=13327

Model made with Mandelbulb3D, voxel slices exported to PNG and converted to OBJ in Fiji, optimized in Meshlab and exported as STL, controlled and repaired in Netfabb and 3D printed at Shapeways.com in WS&F, 11x11x11 cm3, then painted in gold.
My 3D fractal models on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3Dfractals

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
weavers
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »

Greetings and Salutations
Greetings and Salutations
Greetings and Salutations great one
, having fun R U under the earths sun pleased, that u seized a moment to realize the realizable : thought : to idea : idea to reality.  Thus, Gold irresistible true, but, a hyperbolic dimensional gold geometrousity , is even more irresistible,
Trapped with in the oyster shell of life is hidden the unknown, isn't nice to find your Art sitting upon the highest throne , thank you for all the pure good you do chosen u R out of few!

May the force be your source for all time.

Thank you Master!

The Fractal Forums  the possibilities are infinite

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »

Niiiiiiiice  cheesy

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »

I wonder what future archeologists will think when they dig up such metal fractals. "Incredible craftsmanship"? Or "The most unusual crystallization process"? smiley
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

Wouldn't they think- ah, early 3d printing technology, what low resolution on such a simple object.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 09:17:30 AM »

Wouldn't they think- ah, early 3d printing technology, what low resolution on such a simple object.

that is mean, they think for sure: "oh, nature can create such crystals, lets examine them!" or "clearly non terrestial crystalline structure!"

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »

Given enough time, the archeologists of the future will have forgotten that 3d printing ever existed.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »

and they would do those early pioneers an injustice. the printers can do more detailed prints, but the voxel stack processings can't.
I dream of the time, where you can prepare your models in print resolution. Just like we do for 2d prints today.
300dpi but in three directions  shocked

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »

I dream of the time, where you can prepare your models in print resolution. Just like we do for 2d prints today.
300dpi but in three directions  shocked
If you want to blow your mind with a science fiction novel appropriate to this topic, I can recommend "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »

that is mean
I'm not disparaging bib's excellent models, just saying that in future 3d printing will be ridiculously high resolution, and fractal structures will look as simple to them as cubes and octahedrons look like to us now.

Of course that is assuming that we progress, but we might revert back to the middle ages! (something that is quite likely in my country at the election this year)
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »

Looks like bones.

Wll, developement going backwards is completely possible. Well, I live in country which once produced microprocessors, telephones, radios and magnetophones. But then native nationalists said, it's all russian, lets build our economics based on national traditions and skills instead. But that resulted in situation, when national income don't allows to keep all the train routes working and many small schools needed to be cloused. And EU were willing to offer consumer credits and payments for closing of some buissenesses and natives were willing to accept and to further demodernise their state. Of corse some outside organisations would claim about success of austerity mesures. But russian buisness owners were more imune against this greek like europseudodevolopment, so only industry left are only russian owned.

fractal catalisator
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »

I wonder what future archeologists will think when they dig up such metal fractals. "Incredible craftsmanship"? Or "The most unusual crystallization process"? smiley

Well this is not in metal but in Nylon plastic (that Shapeways calls "White Strong & Flexible", or WSF), painted with gold Humbrol Enamel. Not sure how quick Nylon biodegrades though smiley

I still hope that one day printers will take voxel slices as raw input.....or that Jesse comes back and builds a native OBJ export in M3D, cf. http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/generating-meshes-from-3d-fractal-heightfields-and-isosurfaces/

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: