Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: \mathbf not working properly in LaTeX code.  (Read 12380 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:32:08 AM »

It seems that \mathbf is not working properly in LaTeX code here, for some reason. It seems to result in bold italic instead of bold upright. Test:

\mathbf{abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ}

Weirdly, whereas every piece of LaTeX documentation out there indicates that wrapping in \fontshape{n}\selectfont ... \fontshape{i}\selectfont should function as a workaround, the installation here apparently can not even parse either of those commands, which I thought were basic components of LaTeX that couldn't fail to exist no matter what add-on packages were or were not installed.

For what it's worth, \mathrm works (no italic) but, of course, is not bold. smiley

(How \mathrm and \mathit (and \mathbb, even) are able to work properly when two of the lower-level commands used to implement them, \fontshape and \selectfont, don't work, eludes me however. Doesn't seem possible. With those not working, it's a wonder it's only \mathbf that seems to be acting up.)

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »

its a pitty, i am happy that the latex parser is working, its just a plain perl skript that is doing the job, the course of argumentation might be intuitive, but i am the wrong person to hold for it, perhaps ask the guys at "mimetex" cheesy

It seems that \mathbf is not working properly in LaTeX code here, for some reason. It seems to result in bold italic instead of bold upright. Test:

<Quoted Image Removed>

Weirdly, whereas every piece of LaTeX documentation out there indicates that wrapping in \fontshape{n}\selectfont ... \fontshape{i}\selectfont should function as a workaround, the installation here apparently can not even parse either of those commands, which I thought were basic components of LaTeX that couldn't fail to exist no matter what add-on packages were or were not installed.

For what it's worth, \mathrm works (no italic) but, of course, is not bold. smiley

(How \mathrm and \mathit (and \mathbb, even) are able to work properly when two of the lower-level commands used to implement them, \fontshape and \selectfont, don't work, eludes me however. Doesn't seem possible. With those not working, it's a wonder it's only \mathbf that seems to be acting up.)

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »

On that topic, \iff doesn't seem to work either...
\iff should result in \Longleftrightarrow
$\iff$

I wonder, could we get Mathjax instead?

It renders much nicer text, has a more complete syntax and to use it you just type $between dollar symbols$ or, for longer passages
$$
between double dollar symbols
like demonstrated here
$$

It's also what StackExchange is using for those of their subsites that actually are likely to involve math (like math, physics, chemistry...).

It apparently would be as simple as calling the following script which I already use for some places to get access to MathJax without technically having it supported.
(It's basically the adress of a link in my favorites bar and when I click it, all between two $s will be treated like it should be LaTex - the format of it obviously sucks, because it's a one-liner as put into the adress bar)
Code:
javascript:(function(){if(window.MathJax===undefined){var%20script=document.createElement("script");script.type="text/javascript";script.src="https://d3eoax9i5htok0.cloudfront.net/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML";var%20config='MathJax.Hub.Config({"HTML-CSS":%20{%20preferredFont:%20"TeX",%20availableFonts:%20["STIX","TeX"],%20linebreaks:%20{%20automatic:true%20},%20EqnChunk:%20(MathJax.Hub.Browser.isMobile%20?%2010%20:%2050)%20},tex2jax:%20{%20inlineMath:%20[%20["$",%20"$"],%20["\\\\(","\\\\)"]%20],%20displayMath:%20[%20["$$","$$"],%20["\\[",%20"\\]"]%20],%20processEscapes:%20true,%20ignoreClass:%20"tex2jax_ignore|dno"%20},TeX:%20{%20extensions:%20["mhchem.js"],%20noUndefined:%20{%20attributes:%20{%20mathcolor:%20"red",%20mathbackground:%20"#FFEEEE",%20mathsize:%20"90%25"%20}%20}%20},messageStyle:%20"none"});%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20'+'MathJax.Hub.Startup.onload();';if(window.opera){script.innerHTML=config}else{script.text=config}document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(script)}else{MathJax.Hub.Queue(["Typeset",MathJax.Hub])}$('html').ajaxComplete(function(){MathJax.Hub.Queue(["Typeset",MathJax.Hub])})})();

In case you're wondering: I'm using that in StackExchange chatrooms where MathJax doesn't automatically work, because of slowdowns. A chat has to be very responsive after all. That's also where I found the script in the first place.

EDIT: After clicking on said MathJax converter link, I see my post as follows (at least previously to this very edit)
Code:
--- BEGINNING OF SCREENSHOT ---

Code:
--- END OF SCREENSHOT ---

Note that the $\iff$ above is converted and also the example text below, which of corse is pretty useless, but an example none the less.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:56:59 AM by kram1032 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

i had a second javascript parser active, but i deactivated it,  there is a javascript latex parser for this forums,  but it uses another tag
it is [jslatex] in the editor, right now it is deactivated i think, i can look if i can activate it somehow, or just modify the current plugin to use a javasc ript function instead of an image, it is rather just a single line the whole plugin that replaces the contents of a [tex] tag just with an image tag pointing to the url wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: