Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mission Mandelbrot  (Read 3265 times)
Description: A java-program to explore the 3D-Mandelbrot set
Applemanikin
Forums Newbie

Apfelmaennchen

« on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »

Hi community,

allow me to present my program: It is an expedition into the world of a 3-dimensional computed Mandelbrot set. It is a simple "flight simulator" which allows you to control a probe through the impressive scene.

To make it a little more funny I placed a small statue. This statue must be found  wink. I do not think it is possible, though the statue is actually not very hidden. The Mandelbrot set is simply too complex.

For more information and the download click here:
http://www.carpe-retem.com/MissionMandelbrot/

The site is unfortunately only in German, but I have placed a link at the top to translate fast.
I look forward to your opinions and criticisms of my program.

Thank you for your interest.

In German the Mandelbrot set is often called "Apfelmaennchen" - in my translation Applemanikin
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »

lols, great program, i would love to have more mandelbrot games

ever thought about making a boat trip ? i was thinking .... you start over with a little boat in a minibrot, and
your aim for your expedition is to swim to the main mandelbrot, since all minibrots are connected you could make
a path, and if you reach the circumfence of the main cardioid you did it wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Applemanikin
Forums Newbie

Apfelmaennchen

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »

Hi cKleinhuis,

great idea! But are you sure it works? Is there a proven theorem that all minibrots are connected to the mainbrot? And if, so it may be that it still does not work in a program. Once I flew straight the x-axis (y = 0)  to the angle 180 at a height of 5 units to the minibrot at the left. My probe has a size of 0.000005 (in reality). But I crashed to the surface!

An interesting question: how wide are the connections. This certainly depends on the number of iterations which you calculate.

Greets Hans

In German the Mandelbrot set is often called "Apfelmaennchen" - in my translation Applemanikin
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »

yes, it is proven that all minibrots are connected, through infinitely thin lines, but this you can control with your iteration count,
http://www.fractalforums.com/general-discussion-b77/is-the-mandelbrot-set-connected/

---

Applemanikin
Forums Newbie

Apfelmaennchen

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »

yes, it is proven that all minibrots are connected, through infinitely thin lines, but this you can control with your iteration count,
That's what I thought too, theoretically the connection is there, but it is sometimes just infinitesimal. And yes, the boat must have an extension in a program.

Regards Hans

Applemanikin
Forums Newbie

Apfelmaennchen

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:17 PM »

Hi cKleinhuis ,

I simulated your "boat-idea" with my probe. I modified the program a little bit and made a "journey" to the "west" of the Mandelbrot set. The resolution of my program, and especially the number range of double in java (min. 4,94065645841246544e-324) is the reason, that the width of the "ravine" becomes (approximately) zero in practice.

You may see the result in this video: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/um0UKyeW994&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/um0UKyeW994&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Greetings Hans

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »

you simply control the width of the channel by the iteration count, lower your iterations !!!
and lols, use a more interesting location, and make it the other way round wink travel from a minibrot to the main cardioid cheesy

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »

you could as well make the iteration depth depending on the distance to the center, using slightly higher iterations at a mini brot

i attached an image with a lower iteration count where you can see that you have a full open path wink

* Fractal1.jpg (51.01 KB, 640x480 - viewed 402 times.)

---

Applemanikin
Forums Newbie

Apfelmaennchen

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »

What a fantastic world where the water has stages  crazy eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: