Logo by Kaliyuga - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal exteme template file with virtual screen  (Read 5689 times)
kjknohw
Explorer

« on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »

For some reason, Darwine running FX "disables" antialiasing and virtual screen options in the advanced settings dialogue. However, antialiasing still works (it can be enabled in the view menu), so I believe virtual screen works also. I would like someone to upload an fx file with a virtual screen enabled so that I can work with it.
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by a template file?
Perhaps a .fx file with an anti-aliased image?
Fractal Extreme disables the anti-aliasing for the virtual screen option, dont ask me why, it just does.
Most frustrating when trying to create a large image to use on Zazzle.com as a t-Shift, iPad case or skateboard graphic.
Is the Anti-aliasing in the view menu ticked but the anti-aliased box in advanced options greyed out?
That would be a case of WINE not handling the dialog properly.
Antialiasing possibly doesn't work in 256 colour modes, perhaps your WINE screen configuration could be set to this (for old games like starcraft?)
There's a fractal Extreme sub-forum if you want to reply there.
kjknohw
Explorer

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »

I mean an .fx file with the virtual screen turned on (of course antialiasing will be turned off) and a resolution of 2000X2000. Use a "boring" image that will be easy to compress if file size is an issue. I can't turn virtual screen on even with antialiasing off! It's a GUI bug in darwine.

Honestly, you don't need antialising with virtual screen. Just make it 2 times bigger (4 times the area) than you would normally, and then average each 2X2 group of pixels into a single pixel (don't use bicubic, it make make images blurry, this method will maintain crisp lines).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:33:33 PM by kjknohw » Logged
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:55:42 AM »

I've uploaded a simple 3200x2000 pixel virtual screen file on my mediafire account.
http://www.mediafire.com/?rquzyt5ur3yum9i

One thing that antialiasing buys you in Fractal Extreme is colour interpolation.
The speed parameter in the colour mapping increases the number of iteration bands covered by each colour in the palette.
Colour interpolation gradually changes from one colour to the next.
This is separate to the gradual change of colour when you define a palette with a few index points (ie the rainbow preset).
There are 228 palette indexes in Fractal Extreme, I suspect that FX builds the 228 values when interpolates in the palette editor.
That means what without anti-aliasing you will only see those 228 colours.
I use all of the palette indexes (check out the example) so this results abrupt bands of colour for me.

You can see the difference in the attachements below.
Fex843 is a resized version of the virtual screen I've uploaded.
Fex843aa is  4X antialiased, notice how there are extra colours interpolated for some iteration bands.

* fex843.jpg (91.08 KB, 640x400 - viewed 486 times.)

* fex843aa.jpg (80.14 KB, 640x400 - viewed 360 times.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:58:41 AM by panzerboy » Logged
kjknohw
Explorer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 06:12:17 AM »

Thanks. It works well. You have to use the "save bitmap only" feature to get a high res bitmap.

I didn't use the fx main board because that is under windows and this was only a problem due to me running a non-windows system.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:14:29 AM by kjknohw » Logged
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »

The first part of a .FX file is actually a BMP.
So you can load the .fx file straight into GIMP, IrFanview, Windows Photo Gallery.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: