Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Wow, this place is suddenly like a tomb!  (Read 2645 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »

No posts by anyone else here in days, nor in the associated gallery. Only three new views of anything in that gallery in the past 48 hours, as near as I can tell.

If I didn't know better I'd think it was a major holiday weekend around an occasion as major as Thanksgiving or Christmas!

Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

Hello *waves*

causality ignores the persecutory illusions of free will
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »

just stay cool, after one day with 114 new postings some fewer post days follow, after sun follows rain wink
but i am quite comfortable with letting it be slow

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

Speaking of slow, has there always been a one gallery post per day rule? I almost always operate in batch mode  fiery

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:41:32 PM by Transdimensional » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »

no, this rule is new because just 450megabytes of webspace is left, and i want to make it slow, just to keep hosting costs as low as possible without the need to delete anything ...

---

Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »

Oh dang!  sad

Is changing hosts an option?

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:33:37 PM »

I'd suggest Photobucket integration or something like that in the gallery. So users could host an image somewhere else and still display it in the FF gallery and get ratings and comments there.

John Smith
Iterator

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:36:18 PM »

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to start deleting some of the old stuff.  Some of this stuff, as totally awesome as it is, has been around for a couple of years, now.  If it's a really cool picture we could always re-post it.  And it wouldn't be that hard to automate.  A picture goes without viewing for such and such a time period it is automatically deleted, or something like that.

Please don't misunderstand me, the artwork you've all posted is fantastic, but reducing file size means reducing picture quality, and if you keep adding limits, there will eventually be no point in posting at all.

Formerly LAR2. Sorry for confusion
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

i just checked, the pics folder of the gallery is amazingly 4gigs big, 20.000 files, thumbnails+pics, 10.000 single images cheesy

---

Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »

Oh dang!  sad

Is changing hosts an option?

Yes, off course:

grin

Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »

Yes, off course: <Quoted Image Removed>

When I get a job I'll be clicking that button, promise! I already tried but Paypal doesn't accept fractals as payment?  shocked

The host I use for my website (Dreamhost) gives unlimited storage (and I'm fairly sure it's unlimited bandwidth too) for a reasonable price. I've already used more than 10GBs. It might be worth contacting the hosting provider and seeing if they can donate/allow more space or to see if they have any newer plans too.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »

its life that i am experienceing, i hope i manage to steer this safely through, i know that i have a fairly expensive host ( 1&1 )
but since more than 12 years i am a customer and i am quite happy with them...most certainly we have to starve ( concerning uploads ) until end of year,
and i keep an eye on  the gallery, i have exactly one year of updates, and they are updating it quite often, anyways i am not an extreme friend of external image hostings for a gallery, just because after some years ( remember ? this gallery is up for 6 years now ... ) it is just crowded with offline images that have to sorted out, and really nice and interesting content is gone this way....

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

People can already post offsite images; just not get them rated in the gallery. Those offsite images are already susceptible to link rot. And one of the proposals recently floated here would make all of the images here susceptible to link rot.

On the other hand there may be other ideas. For one thing, if you're a loyal customer of the host for many years and this is a temporary financial rough patch, maybe they'd be willing to give you a temporary break to avoid losing such a customer for good. The other is to maybe tap into the dA community in some manner; there's been a fair bit of cross-posts between here and there.

lxh
Iterator

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »

How about editing gallery images to max. 250*250 px thumbnail size and post the image link as bbc img in the description? I would save you about 20mb ... and probably much more till the end of the year.

I've learned so much by my mistakes that I'm planing to do some more.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »

How about editing gallery images to max. 250*250 px thumbnail size and post the image link as bbc img in the description? I would save you about 20mb ... and probably much more till the end of the year.

I think the idea is to keep the gallery for uploaded images, with off-site images better posted to the "Rate my fractal" section of the forum.

That way the gallery section is not subject to links dying, and threads which lose their images due to "link rot" are easier to prune.

Rating the images is really not important except for contests.  You can always ask for feedback in the image description if feedback is what you are after   afro

Hopefully this wont be a long term problem.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: