Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 05:37:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: The Ramparts of Rakkadda  (Read 616 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

The Ramparts of Rakkadda

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=12027

This top view of an ancient fort's ruins shows how passageways wend through the walls to conceal troops and how there were several layers of defenses.

The fort never fell to enemy action. The Rakkaddan civilization was doomed by climate change, and, like the Anasazi, their population dispersed when the land could no longer support urban population densities. Abandoned, the fort eventually was reduced to wall stubs in the desert that once was fertile grassland, to be discovered by archaeologists distantly descended from the ancient inhabitants of the area.

(2D Kaliset Julia, with a coloring that suggests shading and creates an impression of an overhead 3D view.)

LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »

What a sad story. Sometimes a fractal image and a story complement each other completely. This is one example of such perfect fit!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:16:47 AM »

Thanks.

Though ... is surviving attempted murder and eventually dying of natural causes instead really "sad"? smiley

LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »

It's the same type of sadness that I feel when I watch the ruins of Machu Picchu, for example. But of course, I cannot rationalize WHY I feel sad.
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:17:33 AM »

Sad is relative, I suppose. Any dying is sadder than not dying, for instance.

On the other hand, everything exists eternally in the Minkowski block, and information can never truly be destroyed, only encrypted with an unknown key...

LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »

Oh, I was talking about the fortress, not about the civilization... grin I think cities, villages, castles, fortresses even individual buildings are living organisms of their kind. Being abandoned is like being dead.
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »

Buildings are made by people. There are influences of something human in them. I think that's what you recognize.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: