Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 12:56:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Turning the camera without parallax  (Read 2993 times)
barcud
Navigator

« on: April 25, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

Hello,
I have been playing with Mandelbub for a while but there is one thing I can't figure out.

I would like to create an image for an interactive panorama. To do this I wanted to create a few images from the same point, rotate the camera and stitch them together.
The problem is, that moving around creates parallax shifts of foreground and background so the stitching doesn't really work.

Is there any way to rotate around the non parallax point (nodal point for a camera)?

I tried different setting in the FOV and zoom setting to minimize the shift but I guess the program was written to show that shift to make it a better 3D experience.
Tried the shift buttons in the main window as well as the navigator.

And I guess I do not really understanf the FOVy; I can set that to 360, which might not make a lot of sense but I somehow expected the top and the bottom to match up, but it doesn't.
How do I need to understand the FOV?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
    Barcud
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »

This is not possible in mandelbulb3d, to complicated to explain why ;-)

Please use Mandelbulber or Fragmentarium or everything else available for this purpose...
barcud
Navigator

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »

Thank you,

after playing around I thought so - so thanks for the confirmation.
Sad though - I am getting on a lot better with this navigator.

Does anybody know if there are plans to include e.g. equirectangular projection??
That would  open the door to possible 360 degrees videos where you can fly through a fractal (as you can do now) BUT you could also have a look around.
There is quite a bit of discussions about 360 videos going on in the panorama photography sections and some panorama galleries are thinking about how to showcase those videos.

I just saying that this might open up not just a new can of worms but also a potential new user market.

Cheers,
     Barcud
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »

Well, it should be possible to use a big FOV and do a Big Render of that image...
That way you'll get many images which stitches perfectly to each other...

barcud
Navigator

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

But that big render would still just be a part of an image, not a 360 'sphere' where I am in the middle and can look around.
I tried really big FOV but I could not find points to connect the top and bottoms. Horizontally I think I could find a point where it reapeats itself but I could not find that in the vertical world.

I won't give upyet and play around a bit more.

Cheers,
      Barcud
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »

Hi,

It is possible to do the equirectangular projection in Fragmentarium (I've recently been playing around with environment maps), but doing so will require some programming - and doing animation is very difficult at the moment :-)

However, if anyone wants to try the code for equirectangular mapping is simple:

Code:
// Given an orthonormal camera frame: 'dir', 'up', and 'right'
// and a point, coord, in screen coordinates from (-1,-1) to (1,1),
// this function return the required ray tracer direction.
vec3 equiRectangularDirection(vec2 coord, vec3 dir, vec3 up, vec3 right)
{
vec2 r = vec2(coord.x,(1.0-coord.y)*0.5)*PI;
return cos(r.x)*sin(r.y)*dir+sin(r.x)*sin(r.y)*right+cos(r.y)*up;
}

Here is an example picture:

(Hires: http://hvidtfeldts.net/WebGL/z.jpg)

If you have a WebGL capable browser, you can view the panorama image in this three.js viewer:
http://hvidtfeldts.net/WebGL/panorama.html

(There is no anti-alias for equirectangular projections yet, so the image quality is not very good)

Btw, if you do these kind of images, the specular lighting will be wrong, since it depends on the camera direction.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »

I won't give upyet and play around a bit more.

You can multiply the zoom value by 100 or even higher (to minimize the camera starting plane) and set Zstart to Zmid to imitate a camera at the Mid values.
barcud
Navigator

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »

You can multiply the zoom value by 100 or even higher (to minimize the camera starting plane) and set Zstart to Zmid to imitate a camera at the Mid values.

Tried it but I am not sure how that should work.
Say I found an area which I really like and I would like to take a 360 panorama there when I change the zoom value it will take me out of there to the new zoomed position. I troed to et Zmid and Zstart and turn or zoom out again and turn but I will get the perspective changes whenever I turn or slide.

Haven't found a solution yet (other than to use Mandelbulber but I am struggling there with the navigation to find interesting areas) but I guess i will hang in there and try some more.

Cheers everybody.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »

Pano option will be in the next update, won't bother about it.
barcud
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »

Now that sounds really promissing!!!!
Can't wait for it!!

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: