Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 05:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractalforums.com responding incorrectly to "reply" button on a forum post.  (Read 8214 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »

Jeezus H. on a Rubber Crutch...ISP's never Lie, Programmers never mangle code and Machines never screw up, get a grip. ISP's always Lie, programmers invariablly screw up and machines are only as reliable as those using them. Whining about Internal Server Errors is like Pissing into the Wind, Always going to be Backlash, just take a breath, backup and do it again, it's better than gettin yer Leg Wet.

As I recall, at the time of the incident the first thing I did was "back up and do it again". Unfortunately, the server produced the same erroneous response about fifty times in a row, by which time it was apparent that it was not going to start working correctly again without someone whacking its side with a crowbar or whatever it takes to get it back to normal, and therefore the administrator needed to be notified.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »

hey dudes, watch the tone!

it appears that once you are in the "internal server error" mode, reloading the page just doesnt help, dunno why, perhaps you have a designated thread this time, usually when this happens i open up a new window, and load the index page, after it has loaded correctly i would assume reloading the formular page is working correctly again

server update is coming, i hope to get it ready on 1st of may ... for the annual compo ....
but it wont do any endless fun, it just has doubled thread count and doubled memory usage, but this can be full sooner or later as well ... and then hosting cost is going through the roof ....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »

The truth is that the server really sucks, but it's not your fault, Christian, and I never complain about it because we are talking about a totally free service! and you have no responsability or obligations to us, you run this forum because you want to, and we should be always grateful for your efforts.

Instead of complaining, I will donate something when I have my international credit card available again, and I encourage everyone to do it if you really enjoy this forum, so we can make it even better  wink

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »

On the other hand, not all of us have credit cards.

On the gripping hand, the server hardware specs cKleinhuis posted earlier can easily be exceeded by more than an order of magnitude with well under a thousand bucks and a trip to Best Buy, so in theory it shouldn't need that much in the way of donations for a major upgrade. The computer I'm using to post this is a few years old and would run rings around the FF server if it really does have the claimed specs (which are so bad I'm actually fairly skeptical there wasn't a typo in there somewhere); all it doesn't have that the FF server needs to have is particular software, a domain name of its own, a T1 or whatever for the necessary bandwidth to operate decently as a server, and possibly enough disk space for the galleries. Copy the FF server onto a machine like mine with maybe a fatter disk drive, unplug the FF server from the FF server's internet connection, and plug the new machine in in its place, and that'd do it.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »

rolling on floor laughing

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:16:03 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »

this is the same as a friend of mine told me ... just put up a computer and its cheaper and easier ... dudes, 40mb memory usage is meant for a single process, so if 80 users are using 40mb you can calculate for yourself what real server memory amount is ... and i refuse to answer anything more on this topic ... setting up a computer is work, much work, backing up system is work, 99% uptime is something that cant be guaranteed, dsl lines simply do not have the upstream bandwith to serve lots of clients, paudel, i dont know if you are totally unaware what it means to host a website, or if you are just renitent and up for nasty comments, please, believe me the server is cheap but it is stable, and the internal server errors are just exceeding for what i am paying right now ... just be happy that the forum is thriving .... and stop complaining!

a credit card isnt needed, just a paypal account, my plan was to extend the server when ad-income ... something i can calculate with, because donations are nothing i can rely on, is around 50€ a month ... but ad income is stuck at 30€ a month, and as i said in some other posting my bank account is actually closed by our beloved state because i have to pay taxes, and the only reason this server is still online is that i am transferring the money by hand to the hoster every 3 month ....

arrrh!

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »

<Quoted Image Removed>

exactly! thanks for understanding wink

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »

this is the same as a friend of mine told me ... just put up a computer and its cheaper and easier ... dudes, 40mb memory usage is meant for a single process, so if 80 users are using 40mb you can calculate for yourself what real server memory amount is

Oh. Your earlier post sounded as if it said the whole machine had only 40mb.

Even then, 80 users times 40mb is 3.2gb which is actually about the same as the machine I have here. There are 64-bit computers with 16 and 32gb being sold for as little as a couple K. That's ten times the memory as what you've got, and the internet connection you already have seems to be adequate. Whether you administrate the server directly and replace the hardware with something like that, or you've contracted it out and whoever you contracted it out to replaces the hardware, you'd get a lot of bang for not very many (in the big scheme of things) bucks.

Anyway, good luck with the donation drive. I don't use Paypal either -- they have a bad reputation and I heard something recently about them censoring some online bookshop? And I don't have very much money anyway. If there's something else I can do to help, besides money or hardware purchasing advice, though, I'm all ears.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »

damn it a t1 line for 15€/ a month ?!?! you must be kidding me ... calculating in the administration time ... i am just not willing to admin anything, i have enough to do sorting all stuff out, speaking to people how to behave, and keeping the content as clean as possible .... argh, this makes me somehow really really mad ...

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

just stay as calm and polite as possible wink

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

when talking about time put in in the forums, when was the last time i thanked the admin team ?

ADMIN TEAM: YOU ARE DOING JUST GREAT!

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »

btw, do not come to the idea to click on ads, ad click rate is at 0,22% and anything above 0,04% is seen as fraud, so please dont click on ads if you arent interested on them ... at least not every day, 1 click per week seems ok, but would be better to have none to 1 click a month ...

---

simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

I pay £30 a month to rent a low specification server on the internet.  On that I can have as many websites as I require, but as all mine are generally low traffic sites, I don't need anything further.  Even with the server being 'looked after' at a data centre, I still have many things I have to administer even with the relatively low traffic I get, so I can sympathise with you cK and I know what you are going through.

Even with life's commitments which take up an inordinate amount of time (I am a full time carer for my wife), I still get to watch snooker on the TV, play with fractal software and ignore real world stuff like email, DIY and doing housework if I choose, so I say if you don't like it (the errors due to excess traffic) do something about it and either donate towards the expense of running the service or cancel your membership and leave it free for others to enjoy.

Simon

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

On the other hand, not all of us have credit cards.

...and that's ok! I wasn't saying you have to donate! It was a suggestion if you are interested in improving the forum, but if you can't, or even if you don't want to do it, is just fine, off course... and it's also ok that you report errors or make suggestions, but what I think is wrong, is that you are always doing it in a way that looks like you are an angry customer, and it's not polite to be always complaining about something you enjoy for free!

Maybe it's not your intention, but it's just the way you makes it look with some of your posts.

Hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say, Paul.

Cheers,

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: