Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 04:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: GPU FractalScreensaver  (Read 5767 times)
keldor314
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »

I thought you guys might want to know -

Due to popular request, I'm working on a backport of my screensaver to DirectX 9.  It should hopefully do almost as much as the DirectX 10 version.  At least, until (if) I add things like strange attractors and IFS functions to the mix (These would be pretty much impossible to implement without using the geometry shader, which is un-supported with DirectX 9).

At this point, I've broken up the code and isolated the sections that will have to be changed in order to run with DirectX 9, and have the DirectX 9 device up and displaying a blank screen.  Hopefully the port will be finished in a week or so.
keldor314
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:19:42 AM »

Well, the DirectX 9 version is up and running (at least on this computer...).  You can get it from the same place I linked in a previous post in this thread.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »

hi there, just checked it out, it says dxgi.dll couldnt be found ... didnt examine further, will try out later
thx
 afro

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
keldor314
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »

That's easy to fix.  You just need to grab the latest Directx distribution. wink

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

It's built on the June 2008 distribution, so no wonder you don't have it yet ;-)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »

oh, i see, thank you then i will go and try it out tonight cheesy

afro afro afro

---

keldor314
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:08:25 PM »

So....

Did you ever get it to work?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »

ehrm, i somehow forgott it, but i go right now and give it another try  .... police police police

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »

hmm, i installed the dx9c version, but no dxgi.dll was with that, i have tried downloading a dxgi.dll somewhere, but this didnt work either ... sad
hmm, and then i tried another dxgi.dll, and i received another error message:

"Procedure Entry point for _except_handler4_common" not found in msvrt.dll"

have you ever tried it on a windows xp system ?!?!?
 afro afro

what in special do you use of dx10 ? i think for pixel shader rendering of fractals, there is no geometry shader needed, just plain pixelshader 3.0 architecture would be fine to compile any HLSL language code .... afro afro afro
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:22:18 PM by Trifox » Logged

---

keldor314
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond - my uncle just visited, so I've been otherwise distracted  wink

Sounds like you downloaded the DirectX 10 version - You need to download Julia_1_22_DX9 instead of Julia_1_22_DX10 in order for it to run on XP.  It is down under Additional Files. http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=225430&sel_platform=8276

Or directly download it from here - http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gpujuliascreens/Julia_1_22_DX9.zip?modtime=1215155000&big_mirror=0&filesize=47603

I haven't ever tried it on a XP system since I don't have any computer on hand with XP and a graphics card newer than SM 2.0.  I have ran the dependency viewer on it, though, and the dlls it links to appear fine (also, dxgi.dll is not linked from with the DX9 version, but is from the DX10 one, which also makes me think you grabbed the wrong version).

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:47:22 AM by keldor314 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 06:44:21 AM »

hey, thank you for the update, this version starts and tries to initialise the display, but then it crashes, i hava a nvidia 7600 gpu wink afro

---

keldor314
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »

When you say it crashes, what exactly does it do?  Any error messages, or does it just silently quit?

If you're getting a 'display device has recovered from a serious error' type of message, then likely Windows is pulling the plug because the shader is taking too long to finish.

Try going into the screensaver settings (from explorer, first select  the file, then right click on it and  choose configure - if that doesn't come up, just run julia.scr straight from the command line.  Screensavers defaut to configuration mode if you don't pass any parameters.) and turn down the number of iterations.

Also, try 'installing' it from that context menu, and see if it runs in the little preview window.

Lastly, make sure your drivers are up to date.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:24:30 AM by keldor314 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »

hi there, ok
the config window show up, and i got no particula error just that the program crashed ... sad

after i start the program, the screen blacks out, and after a while of  nothing going on on the screen it crashes ... ;(

cheers
ck

---

keldor314
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »

Hrmm...  Try the 1.20 version - I added a couple things in the 1.22 that might be causing the problems.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gpujuliascreens/Julia_1_20_DX9.zip?use_mirror=osdn

Also, when it crashes, does it just dump you to the desktop, or does it do a blue screen or something?  The more you can tell me, the better.

Finally, make sure your drivers are up to date.

In any case, if none of those work, I can try some other things to fix it, though that will have to wait a few days since my development computer is in the process of being upgraded at the moment.

[EDIT]  Actually, I think I know what the problem might be.  It'll have to wait until my development computer is back up and running for me to fix it, though.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:50:58 PM by keldor314 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:25:44 PM »

hello, sorry but i have to say the 1.20 version crashes likewise,
there is no special information,

1. run the program
2. both screens go to black
3. error message: Application Detected a severe error and has to quit. no more information sorry.
 afro afro

---

keldor314
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »

Interesting...  it sounds like it's causing your driiver to crash...

I have a hunch about what might be causing it, involving unsupported texture caps, but again, we'll have to wait for my computer to be online again first. wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: