Logo by S Nelson - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Limitions Of ".map" Files?  (Read 2945 times)
Description: How Big Can They Get?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

Here is an interesting question for which I was barely able to pick a category (my favorite kind of question!).

I was modifying some .map files from the big pack of them that seems to be circulating in various places.  (got mine here: http://www.nahee.com/Software/ and it's quite handy!  The same grouping is available as a download with the Endlos program, and elsewhere too).

So...  I tried appending a few to get the gradients "back to back" in one larger file.

Then I tried it with the "jstripe" files.

They are 4 files of tightly aligned bands of color - Lots of bands!

I think there were only 3, but I made a pink one to go with the red green and blue ones  (still need to make that yellow / orange one!).

So...

It's a HUGE file, and takes a Long time to render images in Chaoscope (the program I was playing with at the time).

So I tried it in a few other programs that use ".map" files...

It worked in some, and got truncated in others.

Is there a practical limit on the size of such files which varies from program to program?

Or do they all read "the end" of the palette differently and see - for example - a black band, or something - as the indicator that the file has completed loading?

In Chaos Pro, it just cuts off and only 1 1/2 of the 4 appended files show.

In Mutatorkammer the first 2 full maps load and are all even more tightly compressed to one side, while the last of the bands to load is stretched out and fills most of the palette!

I'm just editing these in Notepad, so there may be some convention of which I am unaware - or there could be practical limits subjective to the program in use.

I'm just blindly experimenting, and have no idea if I am doing anything wrong, or not!

Any ideas?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »

I was modifying some .map files from the big pack of them that seems to be circulating
in various places.  (got mine here: http://www.nahee.com/Software/ and it's quite handy!).

All of the other locations got their copies from my compilation (the link above).  I can say this because mine has been around (since 1997) a lot longer than the other people have even had sites.    wink     cheesy

So...  I tried appending a few to get the gradients "back to back" in one larger file.
It's a HUGE file, and takes a Long time to render images...
...tried it in a few other programs that use ".map" files...
Is there a practical limit on the size of such files which varies from program to program?

I know there is quite a bit of FractInt documentation concerning .MAP files, some of which is available online.  As to the other programs which use the same kind of files, that information is rather limited.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: