Logo by teamfresh - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Quick Hello from fractal mad guy  (Read 845 times)
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »

Hi

I've been playing with fractals for about 15 years or so and I got interested in fractals when I first came across FractInt which I used on an ageing desktop PC with limited resources.

I've been playing with various programs since then and I started to write my own fractal formulae with FractInt which have had varying levels of success.

Unfortunately for me, trying to get these formulae into more modern programs has been fraught with frustration so I still write new ones in FractInt which I run in dosbox quite successfully, even though it is quite slow compared to more modern solutions.

I've been simply milling around since then not doing a lot until I started to play with the 64-bit version of Fractal eXtreme which simply blew me away with its speed and ease of use.  I have bought the program and thought I would try to somehow (even though I do not know a lot about programming) write or at least encourage others to try to write a plugin for it that would allow the user to write or load the FractInt formula files (.frm), select a formula and generate a fractal from it.  Now, that would simply be my ideal environment.

Have had a look at the burning ship plugin that has been written by someone on the forum and the pictures in that thread are amazing.

That's me,

Simon

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 02:29:10 AM »

Hi Simon, for writing your own (2D) formulas for general escape-time formulas you can't beat Ultra Fractal (commercial) or Chaos Pro (free).
Although the latest version of UF has class-based formulas that allow user plug-ins, all the old style formula types are still there and can be used and these are essentially like Fractint ones with bells on wink Chaos Pro can import UF formulas of the old-style and has it's own more C-style language as well.

Edit: Just to add that UF and ChaosPro can both do 3D+ fractals too, I specified 2D as for 3D+ Mandelbulber and Mandelbulb3D are better (at the moment) wink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:34:54 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: