Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 28, 2024, 04:18:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: XenoFractals  (Read 1532 times)
Description: Strange non-chaotic attractors
GKStill
Forums Freshman

Prof. Dr. G. Keith Still FIMA FICPEM

Xenofractals XenoFractals
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »

Hi,

I've had the pleasure of talking about fractal applications in the financial markets with Benoit Mandelbrot and corresponding with Arthur C. Clarke on the Xenofractals. The have been sitting in my note books and computer files for nearly 20 years and been the subject of some interesting press including over 1,000,000 free disks sent out on the cover of Focus and PC World (1994)

Just upgraded the website (www.Xenofractals.com) and posted an update to the Xenofractals iPad app to Apple Store yesterday.

He to talk about how to improve, expand, discuss and generally find out more about these curious fractal systems (both iterative and recursive).

Welcome any and all discussions.

Regards,

Keith

Strange Non-Chaotic Attractors
www.Xenofractals.com
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »

helllo and welcome to the forums, from where are you from ? france ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome

Born and bred in Scotland, now living in North West England.

Kind regards,

Keith
www.xenofractals.com

www.Xenofractals.com
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »

howdy Welcome Sir!

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »

Welcome to Fractalforums! You had the chance to meet Benoit Mandelbrot himself, that was dream for many of us smiley

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »

Met and talked to Benoit Mandlebrot - we spent a conference and a long evening (into the wee small hours) talking about the fractal nature of financial markets and he signed/inscribed his book to me (2001).

Had several conversations/faxes with Arthur C. Clarke on the nature of fractals and the work I was involved with

"More importantly, it seems to me that what you were generating is something much more impressive than Fractal Patterns. What you're really showing is views of our galaxy, in the far future when we've had time to do a little landscape gardening." Arthur C. Clarke (Nov 1994)

and, of course, my own mentor/professor was Ian Stewart....been a privilege and honour to have met and worked with the greats.

The last 20 years has kept me very focussed and busy with the development of crowd sciences though - so just getting back to working with the xenofractals - aiming to publish explorer code and perhaps a few papers on the applications.

Happy to discuss.

Keith

www.Xenofractals.com
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

Keith, I really look up to these great people. I came to read "Does God Play Dice" very recently, and I've been totally fascinated by Ian Stewart's capacity to explain chaos in simple terms. It allowed me to connect the dots with one of the iconic fractals among the new generation, the so-called Mandelbox, where two basic operations performed in the iterated fuction are stretching and folding, the basic ingredients of chaos as Ian Stewart describes them.

Great to have you among us here! Are there any connections between fractals and crowd motion?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes. "Does God Play dice" is an excellent book - I think I'm Chapter 10 or 11 in another of Ian's books "Life's Other Secret" which describes he crowds/fractal connection.

The conference where I met, and talked through into the early hours, with Benoit Mandelbrot was all related to crowds, fractal analysis in the financial markets and the nature of information and connectivity. The Xenofractals and the notes I took during that meeting were all focussed on the "why" do the markets behave in this way - sure they are fractal - but why are they fractal.

Mostly this is due to the nature of how a group interacts ("It's all in the interactions") - you can build cellular automata models to explore the connectivity and I did a lot of work on "TradeStation" on chaos detectors ("don't trade chaos") where the crowd reactions were non coherant. When the crowd is coherent there is a degree of predictability - so a 0-1 chaos detector allowed me to discriminate between chaotic and non-chaotic signals....improved the trading performance (and I made a bit of money too).

However - crowd safety has always been my passion.

There is an article Ian wrote (for Discover Magazine) which explains the start of the journey (http://www.xenofractals.com/Cobweb.html) in his words.

Since then I've gone on to model (and design) some of the worlds largest, most dangerous and complex crowded spaces.

Right now - I'm getting back into programming the Xenofractals and if anyone out there is interested in some serious discussions - I'd love to hear from you. They were cover disc on PC World and Focus Magazine (over 1,000,000 distributed) which also featured a free book from Arthur C. Clarke - hence his letter to me and the subsequent discussion on the fracas systems.

Sadly, both Arthur and Benoit are no longer with us - so these are treasured memories and letters.

Kind regards,

Keith

www.Xenofractals.com
GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »

Just added some movie files to

www.Xenofractals.com

Would welcome any discussion.

Regards,

Keith

www.Xenofractals.com
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:16:00 AM »

hmmm, xenofractals sounds a lot like http://www.xenodream.com/

GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:16:04 AM »

Xenodream - great website and great product.

I've nothing to do with the company - my work has been around since early 1990's (originally called Orchid Fractals - over 1,000,000 copies distributed on PC World and Focus Magazine in 1994).

Regards,

Keith

www.Xenofractals.com
GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »

Been updating websites and blogs - now have some of my work on youtube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uklvx806qdo&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Uklvx806qdo&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Just one example of the xenofractal (these are akin to living organisms as you can see).

Would be interested in my feedback/comments.

Kind regards,

Keith

www.Xenofractals.com
eiffie
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »

I would sure like to know more about the algorithm. Is it written up somewhere on your site?
GKStill
Forums Freshman

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:59:36 PM »

Not yet - looking for a trusted mathematician/coder to assist in development for iPad first.

www.Xenofractals.com
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: