Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:36:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is this place slowly dying?  (Read 3200 times)
Description: ?
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »

Seems to me this forum (and the linked gallery) used to get a lot more traffic. Recently it's lucky to get two posts in one day...

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

... and less new ideas, and new formulas are shared. Too bad! sad

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »

Time of year wink

Also the last 2 years or so have been inordinately active !!

In terms of fractal software one of the reasons for a slow-down is that few new programs are appearing because the ones already available are so damn good - so unless a whizz-kid appears who can program like IQ the chance of something new and particularly amazing appearing is slim wink

With respect to colourings there *should* be stuff going on - there are still at least 500 colourings available in Ultra Fractal (and/or Fractint and ChaosPro) that are designed as 2D colourings that could be adapted/extended to full-3D but there doesn't seem to be anyone doing this - at the moment the only option is to use the old 2D versions to colour 3D via my wip formula for UF but of course that's somewhat out of date now both in terms of hybrid possibilities and 3D rendering sophistication (global illumination, multiple objects, lakes/walls/floors, true ambient, true DoF, the latest materials models, transparency, refraction etc.).

Also AFAIK so far there's no dedicated 3D fractal renderer (of the new ones specifically written for 'bulbs and boxes etc.) that allows multiple layers - or am I missing something ?

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:02:25 PM »

With respect to colourings there *should* be stuff going on - there are still at least 500 colourings available in Ultra Fractal (and/or Fractint and ChaosPro) that are designed as 2D colourings that could be adapted/extended to full-3D but there doesn't seem to be anyone doing this

Actually, Chaoscope has been accepting .map files for 3D Attractors and Fractals for years now.

So there is still hope that .map colorings can be adapted to more places  (like Mandlbulber, Mandelbulb3D, Boxplorer, etc).

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

imho, i won't complain if the images showcase get less traffic  snore
And as long as the programming technicals forums is are open, i'm ok  grin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:45:00 PM by ker2x » Logged

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »

too bad the users on this forum just use water for boiling ... i really dont understand paudels question, in science or in live cant - or even in economy - nothing can stay on the "growing" branch, especially in concerns
of new theory and active research, when i look on to the access rates i still encounter a slight growth ( we are nearly having 1,5mio clicks/month)

quantity and quality problem ... as always, the forum is not meant as gallery provider, and the gallery has been heavilly restricted to especially lower the amounts of posted images there, could be that this is now boomeranging
back, but i dont see a problem yet

although i agree through the quality/quantity problematic, the forum is developing more into a software users forum, especially mandelbulber and mandelbulb3d

and since only one person actually is able to create formulas for mandelbulb3d ( hi darkie ) there is not much variety, but the programs offer complexity that has not even closely been researched, especially
the small functions inversion, ifs functions and all the hybrid formulas are playground enough, and this forum serves as the discussion point about how to create 3d fractals
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:51:15 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »

There is still a lot of stuff to be done in fractals and i'm working on my programming/math capabilies to do it.

a few exemples :
- improving speed using GPU
- more research on buddhabrot-like rendering (my favorite)
- pathtracing/pathmarching to greatly improve quality (i still don't get it, but i will work on it (i tried without success for now))
- improving current software (speed and features).

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:27 PM »

There is still a lot of stuff to be done in fractals and i'm working on my programming/math capabilies to do it.

a few exemples :
- improving speed using GPU
- more research on buddhabrot-like rendering (my favorite)
- pathtracing/pathmarching to greatly improve quality (i still don't get it, but i will work on it (i tried without success for now))
- improving current software (speed and features).

I think, buddhabrots with more lifelike (religios symbols, natural things and so on going surreal) formulas, and in 3D.  Buddhabrots with just mandelbrots and 2 more formulas is quind of boring. Tricorn buddhabrot looks like star of david, but there are another 'real life' things to explore, such us generated moon crescent.

Maybe alsou interesting thing would be to animate one fractal into another.

Alsou no new holly grail to search for;)

And nothing interesting new;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:31:33 PM by Asdam » Logged

fractal catalisator
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

and since only one person actually is able to create formulas for mandelbulb3d ( hi darkie ) there is not much variety, but the programs offer complexity that has not even closely been researched, especially..........

Well but in the forums I found lots of formulas, but all old, some time ago almost everyone suggested a new formula wink ...

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »

Triplex anumbers and trigonometry are very complex things;)

fractal catalisator
Aexion
Conqueror

The Fractal Hermit

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »

There are a lot of things to do, in many fractal fields, and that doesn't mean new formulas, it means new procedures can be done...

For example, if you extrude a 2D fractal with a function (continuous potential..), you will get the classical 3D mandelbrot mountain..
But if you mix several of those functions, then things become very interesting..
Here's an example such approach on the classic mandelbrot set:

No DE was harmed on the making of this fractal image..

Fractals all the way..
Incendia for 3D Fractals
Aural for Musical Fractals
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »

But you live in another dimension  wink

I was also wondering on "printing" a fractal formula in the surface of normal solids. For example a gnarly on a cube, sphere, cone ... and whatever  grin ...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:24:35 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »

seems to me like the "in former times everything was better" complaint. heard that a million times in a million contexts.

with the development of "real" 3d fractals an enormous change went through the fractal landscape in the past two years - including a whole new species of fractal software, dedicated to create only these 3d pointclouds.

honestly, what do you expect? that this development speed will go on for ever? in opposite to the course of the sun, human devolopment is subject to (short term) changes. so my thesis to this discussion is:
"in former times everything was different" - take it as a chance!

like David Makin and Aexion described, there is a lot of potential left, in finetuning 3d fractal generation.

and by the way, i see the restrictins to the gallery completely positive. i don't need to see annother twenty elaborations of a particular fractal (2 or 3d) at one time. imho two or three are quite enogh, so i can keep a clear view of all the rest...

keep having fun!  wink
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:39:59 PM by taurus66, Reason: bad english » Logged

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »

I was also wondering on "printing" a fractal formula in the surface of normal solids. For example a gnarly on a cube, sphere, cone ... and whatever  grin ...

If I am not mistaken this can be done with glsl so you could try it in QuadFractal which supports loading of 3D meshes and glsl shaders.

http://flashlight.slad.cz/?page=projects
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:15:09 PM by blob » Logged
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »

Time of year wink

I'd have thought the opposite -- with most users in the Northern Hemisphere, the winter would favor more indoor activity (such as fractals and forum surfing). So unless most of the contributors are secretly kids that are in school all winter...smiley

Thing is, the gallery posts lately seem to come from just a handful of userids, instead of the greater variety of even a month or so ago. I wonder why that is? Is there somewhere people have moved on to -- or non-fractal activities?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: