Logo by yv3 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 07:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: new thread per post  (Read 24023 times)
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« on: May 05, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »

i've noticed a tendency for some users to make a new thread everytime they want to post. a bit of consolidation would be good not only for organisational reasons, but also in terms of garnering more replies: personally i'm not inclined to either flip some coins to choose which thread to reply to, or to reply in all of them, so one is bound to be neglected, even if it's relevant, once the other picks up momentum.

btw, i'm no mod, that's just a (logical?) suggestion.

*edit* some links to show what i think is the right way to do it (bear in mind that each view of these threads will show off many images, not just one):

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=473.0
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=145.0
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=558.0
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=415.0
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=401.0

etc...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 05:34:29 PM by lycium » Logged

heneganj
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »

It is by far the easiest way to post - don't search for a relevant thread before posting your views..  I don't have a strong view on this topic - on one hand (the 'firehose' approach whereby all new views are in new threads) you have a continuous supply of new threads, on the other, you have a large set of appended threads which become more valuable with each post.

There is some logic to going with the status-quo - people will post to whatever works for them.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:17:02 PM »

i must say i'm disappointed that the board admins don't care for organisation sad

here's to making a million topics for everything we have to say. some people already have scary topics/posts ratios, and the clutter is just frustrating for those of us who take these forums seriously.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:20:01 PM by lycium » Logged

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:09:15 PM »

I'm a fence straddler on this one!

I was among those listed as "doing it right" but I have a few threads where I wanted a single image to get it's own topic! (Dog Toy comes to mind)

But...  There is also the frustration of a thread getting too big and if full of images , such topics can take too long to load on dial up or laptop connections!

When images fit a theme, I'll group them.  If I think they deserve their own thread, I go that route.

It is fun finding old threads to bump with new images, thus reviving the old topic for new comers and old comers alike!

I'm glad there is no set policy on this.  Fractals ARE about finding Order in Chaos, after all!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:29:03 PM »

When images fit a theme, I'll group them.  If I think they deserve their own thread, I go that route.

that's exactly what i'm advocating, whereas there's a recent tendency to skip the first part entirely. i'm not saying "there will be a hard and fast law" (again, i'm not a moderator*), but it makes a difference to me because i like to keep track of the flow of topics at http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=recent which gets pretty clogged when people post N topics for N pictures of the same julia/mandelbrot/3d ifs set.

if no one else cares i'll just stfu, but it does look unprofessional.

* in fact, only one moderator is regularly on the forums, and another logs in about once every month or two...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:32:01 PM by lycium » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:40:54 PM »

I understand the basic point of view you have concerning an organized look and feel of this Forum.  But, there are those members whom may decide not to participate if it were too controlled.  And they probably prefer a more chaotic approach to how they post.

I also understand what Jason Henegan and "Sockratease" have expressed about this, and basically agree with their assessment.

if no one else cares i'll just stfu, but it does look unprofessional.
* in fact, only one moderator is regularly on the forums, and another logs in about once every month or two...

The only reason that I am regularly on the forums is because I do not have a life.   wink

heneganj
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »

Come come Paul - some might say your deep involvement with all things fractal related IS your life!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 04:50:15 PM »

Come come Paul - some might say your deep involvement with all things fractal related IS your life!

Yes, my life is definitely a pattern which is repeated at ever smaller scales.  Now, if I can only do something about those irregular shapes and surfaces that cannot be represented by classical geometry.      wink    grin 

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: