Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 05:06:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: this thread is dead please remove  (Read 6663 times)
Description: mastering free transform fractals first edition a tad incompleat more to come
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« on: March 05, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

new version of the sloppy old book
come and get it

its missing a page

but i am working on it as you read this

IT'S MY LEGACY

i wanted to see the public response on how it is written before i write the chapters on space-fill gasket's using smart-objects and super trees

that will be in the second edition in this tutorial we use Photoshop however it would be even cooler if someone would design me some software specifically for this maybe if everyone on the forum likes it

someone more mathematically inclined could do that  hint hint MIT students    

hear is the link

https://sites.google.com/site/cryographicscom/Blog

the file is  a PDF
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:08:24 AM by matty686 » Logged

open-source rocks
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »

can't say much about the content right now, only skimed through. but i recommend some proofreading. my english is not so good and i found lots of of mistakes at first glance...

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

interesting apparently the world thinks spelling is more important than content who knew

I have a lot of work to do  maybe  I should go back to 5 th grade and relearn spelling 

this document is a draft i wanted to see if people could understand the concept

the last chapter is completely missing 

open-source rocks
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

ok, your point of view. but i think it is much harder for a book to be taken seriously, when spelling is "IRELIVENT" (quote from your draft)  wink

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »

point taken thanks I will correct the spelling but that may take years because my friends will have to have time to help I can't spell on my own

version two will have some spelling fixes i promise

open-source rocks
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

How in the world can you call this new?  grin This is not new, and probably what you get with this method is not exactly a fractal. This is only an attempt to repeat by hand ( heh ) what Apophysis and / or other softwares do automatically. wink A fractal normally requires a formula or a transformation. Only you are doing transforms by hand instead of with an algorithm. Try to repeat a Menger sponge with this method and see. Best wishes ... Luca

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

OK for those of you who want to see some examples type "matty686" into the keyword search

open-source rocks
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »

yup formulas do there job very well

in fact the are quite useful  for calculating the noise i use to fake the lower iterations

the main point is,  just as a tree is not a perfect fractal  neither are these

but things are pushed a bit on your side two because although your fractals represent the infinite they are just pixels

it's not how you get there that matters its the result

and while I may not be able to do a merger sponge in 3d I can easily tackle a 2d one using smart object substitution witch i have not yet covered   

open-source rocks
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »

I really like the look of many of your images   afro

They are very attractive and fun to look at.

But fractals?

I'm not so sure.

Yes, they exhibit self similarity, but not at all scales, and fractals are by definition Mathematical Formulas.

Your work is fractal-like, and certainly has a place on this forum, but can not properly be called a fractal.

All Fractals are Self-Similar, but not all which is Self-Similar is a Fractal.

I used to insist that things like this were a Fractal:

Click For Big

It was made in a fractal generator, using fractal formulas, but everyone here insisted it was some sort of hybrid and not a fractal at all.  I believe the term they all eventually agreed upon was "Exotic Projection" (or some other word that begins with an "E")  (I forgot it because I still like to think of those images as Fractals, despite knowing full well they are not!).

it's not how you get there that matters its the result

Agreed when it comes to a piece of Art!  But Not when it comes to defining what is and is not a Fractal. 

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »

yes Sockratease

they are not fractal but they are so close even I have no clue I have even analyzed the lunacracy  using an open-source  formula  i really don't know what to call them they register the same as fractals

they have rough cost lines and they grow like trees sounded fractal to me but i have now realized how nit-picky the world is I will call them q fractals

i am posting two pictures can you guess witch is the real fractal and witch is the q fractal

* mine.png (216.55 KB, 350x342 - viewed 416 times.)

* Capture.PNG (38.4 KB, 331x264 - viewed 389 times.)

open-source rocks
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »

You can make fractals from an escapetime formula, a mix of e.t. formulas, or from ifs transforms, or general transforms.
Finally if you transform a shape and not a pixel you get your images.
Somebody invented softwares with baseshapes a long ago; they are Incendia and Xenodream
So that is why you can not say you invented this method... wink

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:41 AM »

Just to echo Darkbeam - you need to check out Xenodream and Incendia (both can do "object" based IFS) and also to read up on L-Systems - the method is nothing new - also check out dragon trees and DTIFS.
Sophisticated use of L-Systems can produce amazing results and it is possible to convert such to IFS with appropriate rule extensions.
See:
http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »

As with any art it is important to consider getting an
external hard drive
( I am assuming your not stupid and have one)

lol, this "book" is hilarious!  grin

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »

oh, and regarding the "originality" of recursively (and procedurally/implicitly) instantiated objects, how about this from 1989 (John C Hart): http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.85.8650

matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »

ok i think this brings up a bigger issue

it seams that there is a lack of software that does this job in an easy manner and all in one place

photoshop has everything i need

were as these other programs are underdeveloped java projects

Azn

open-source rocks
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: