Logo by S Nelson - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Chaoscope Meets Mutatorkammer!  (Read 7022 times)
dentaku2
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »

first of all, i need an international good name for the program

Mutatorkammer is a bit annoying and reminds to much to bad german history tongue stuck out

any sugestions are welcome!

International understandable - that means english, right? Here are some thoughts:

substitutor
defector
vantage points
rearrangor
relocator
fractal shifter
displacement
squish (<- that's the name of a baby toy that can be pressed and twirled and bended in all 3 axes).

or in combination with "mutate"/"mutator".
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 07:27:34 PM »

Christian Kleinhuis (Trifox) wrote:
>
>    first of all, i need an international good name for the program
>    Mutatorkammer is a bit annoying and reminds to much to bad german history  tongue stuck out
>    any sugestions are welcome!

Well, may I suggest you get away from the "Mutator" portion of the name, and replace it with "Fractal".  And if I remember my German from back in my old school days, "kammer" means something like "chamber", which would not be that bad of a choice to use in your applications name:

Fractal-Chamber

It would basically imply a place (a compartment or enclosed space) where fractals are held in readiness to be used upon a moments notice by the individual running your program.    :-)

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »

I like The above suggested name, but have no problem with the original!

I thought of "Mutatorkammer" as meaning "Mutation Camera" because I use it with images so much (even though I knew better)!

I've been home repairing again...  Bought a crappy house and keep getting storm damage!

I finally made some play time, and this happened:

A silly Grinning "BluedalaMan" with Sun Glasses!

I have some animations to upload somewhere too...

Soon.

Time is Very Hard for me to get these days...

Peace.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
ericbigas
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »

A silly Grinning "BluedalaMan" with Sun Glasses!

I think Trifox will appreciate this one.  He may have started the "guys wearing sunglasses" subgenre of fractal art (along with the Paris Hilton subgenre).
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 01:18:59 PM »

I think Trifox will appreciate this one.  He may have started the "guys wearing sunglasses" subgenre of fractal art (along with the Paris Hilton subgenre).

lol, i appreciate anything done with my programs wink

btw. MutatorKammer - means in english MutationChamber

i liked the word, because i am the founder of it -  as google search had no results half a year ago cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 08:50:25 PM »

On February 14, 2007 at 08:30:27, Christian Kleinhuis (Trifox) wrote:
>
>    first of all, i need an international good name for the program
>    Mutatorkammer is a bit annoying and reminds to much to bad german history   tongue stuck out
>    any sugestions are welcome!

On March 22, 2007 at 02:18:59, Christian Kleinhuis (Trifox) wrote:
>
>    btw.  MutatorKammer - means in english MutationChamber
>    i liked the word, because i am the founder of it -  as google search had no results half a year ago  cheesy

O.K.   You like the word, but find it annoying.  You found no other word like it being used in a Google search, but need something more International sounding as a "good name" for the program.

You appear to be conflicted on whether you wish to keep the original name or go with something different.  Are these just mood swings at the time you made your postings, or are you really considering something else as a name??     wink

Either way, I still like what the program is doing, and all of the enhancements you have been making over the past few months.   smiley

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 12:27:26 AM »

O.K.   You like the word, but find it annoying.  You found no other word like it being used in a Google search, but need something more International sounding as a "good name" for the program.
must sound a little weirdo  cool

actually i was really thinking about another name, but since i have a faible(phatfractal) for strange names... it will stay

Either way, I still like what the program is doing, and all of the enhancements you have been making over the past few months.

thank you, next step is to take more control over fractal properties like  iterations and coloring methods and belonging parameters,
 i actually have a decent method in my mind, which needs to be
implemented, and from now on, i will include more useability features like a history and undo functions wink

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:28:58 AM by Trifox » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 02:50:52 PM »

OK...

I spent a couple days with an animation program I found on a laptop I bought as a used computer (specifically because it had a lot of nice software on it!).

Ummm...

You know I like nailing LOTS of programs together...

I used that last Chaoscope / Mutatatorkammer image...

And that animation program...

Well...

Here:

Bigger (but not much bigger!) :
http://liveu-11.vo.llnwd.net/vidilife/image/2006/2/13/357060/1235811L.gif

Not bad for a first try!

So...

At what point does this cease to be fractal art?

I mean...

It's Art done with a Fractal...

Just ...

Ummm...

Well...

It was Fun!!!

That should be all that counts.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:52:41 PM by Sockratease » Logged

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 01:16:35 AM »

I spent a couple days with an animation program I found on a laptop I bought as a used computer (specifically because it had a lot of nice software on it!).

You know I like nailing LOTS of programs together...

I believe the current term on the Internet for combining a lot of things together like that is called "mash-up".    wink

At what point does this cease to be fractal art?   I mean...  It's Art done with a Fractal...

I guess you have missed out on the discussion on a particular blog which I mentioned a couple of weeks ago at:
   http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=686.0

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »

I guess you have missed out on the discussion on a particular blog which I mentioned a couple of weeks ago at:
   http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=686.0

On the contrary!

It was that discussion which prompted the question!

I say it is easier to define "Fractal" than "Fractal Art" - and for Good Reason!  But even "Fractal" does not have a Universally Agreed Upon definition!

I mean...  Color Maps.

When does use of a color map make a fractal become something other than Fractal Art?

Example - The Above!!

I say Mutatorkammer is using a Photograph as an RGB Color Map.  Therefore EVERYTHING it does with pictures IS Fractal Art!!  Unless we choose to limit the kinds of color maps which are acceptable.

Others would Vehemently Disagree.

They are free to do so - as long as they don't try to tell me what to believe, do, or post.

And so long as they don't try to define such things as "Fractal Art" which MUST remain Undefined if the medium is to flourish!!

Ask a Painter to define "Art" and they will laugh at you!  Ask a Fractal Artist to define "Fractal Art" and suddenly they have an answer!  Not just AN answer...  but THE Answer.

I find it Highly Amusing!

Silly People.

Next thing you know, they'll want a definition for Dividing by Zero!

Oh...  By the way...

Umm...

I gave it EYES!!

Bigger: http://liveu-15.vo.llnwd.net/vidilife/image/2006/2/13/357060/1236115L.gif

And altered the animation a bit.

I wonder if I could do a Full Fractal Figure??

Maybe some day...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:48:27 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:35 AM »

They are free to do so - as long as they don't try to tell me what to believe, do, or post.
And so long as they don't try to define such things as "Fractal Art" which MUST remain
Undefined if the medium is to flourish!!

There will always be some group attempting to define and control the area of "Fractal Art" for their own purposes.  It usually is to promote their own agendas or for pure profit or both.  But watch out, they are becoming a lot trickier in how they go about it.    tongue stuck out

Ask a Painter to define "Art" and they will laugh at you!  Ask a Fractal Artist to define
"Fractal Art" and suddenly they have an answer!  Not just AN answer...  but THE Answer.
I find it Highly Amusing!  Silly People.

I have been around long enough to know a few things fairly well, but one thing I know for sure, and that is to never try to define what is "art".

But I do enjoy watching those "Silly People" when they get into their perpetual discussions on what is "art".    wink   cheesy   grin

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »

But even "Fractal" does not have a Universally Agreed Upon definition!

i don't think there is ANYTHING universally agreed upon... however, the word fractal has a really clear definition which only fools would refute.

"a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be subdivided in parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole" (emphasis mine)

the reason behind the emphasis is because that is both a necessary and sufficient condition; self-similarity is the core of what fractals are about.

I mean...  Color Maps.

When does use of a color map make a fractal become something other than Fractal Art?

some dude froze a cow, chopped it in half, put it on display and it was hailed as high art. in light of this, i have no idea what art is (to most people).

what i can say is that colour maps do not fractal art make... (in fact i really dislike colourmaps, they are a very one-dimensional way of colouring an otherwise colourless image - i like to make my images with colour directly, colourmaps are a bit of an afterthought dating back to when we all had only 256 colours in a palette; i miss those days but we can do better now)

I say Mutatorkammer is using a Photograph as an RGB Color Map.  Therefore EVERYTHING it does with pictures IS Fractal Art!!  Unless we choose to limit the kinds of color maps which are acceptable.

again, it's got a lot more to do with the definition of what a fractal is than the colour map.

actually, just because an image was made by a program calling itself a fractal generator doesn't necessarily mean it truly is fractal in nature. a new friend of mine from deviantart has recently begun experimenting with apophysis, and her first "fractal" isn't really fractal: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59920774/

what i'm getting at here is that a image's "fractalness" should be judged directly, not which program(s) were used to make it. mutatorkammer is at its core an expression evaluator, which is engineered to be able to make many self-similar patterns, much like apophysis, but also like apophysis they are so powerful and general as to potentially create some non-fractal images.

Others would Vehemently Disagree.

easy now tiger, this is fractal forums and not orbit trap wink
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 06:11:46 PM by lycium » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: